Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1.8T 2003 Passat and I am thinking about changing the oil myself. How hard is it to change the oil without putting it up on ramps? After looking under the hood it appears the coolant resevoir will have to be removed to access the filter from the top of the engine compartment. Anybody change the oil this way. I also purchased the "larger capacity" Mann oil filter (W940/25). By using this filter, how much will it increase the oil capacity? any help or suggestions appreciated.
thanks
Rick R.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I have a 1.8T 2003 Passat and I am thinking about changing the oil myself. How hard is it to change the oil without putting it up on ramps? After looking under the hood it appears the coolant resevoir will have to be removed to access the filter from the top of the engine compartment. Anybody change the oil this way. I also purchased the "larger capacity" Mann oil filter (W940/25). By using this filter, how much will it increase the oil capacity? any help or suggestions appreciated.
thanks
Rick R.
Do a search and you will find that many 1.8t owners use an oil extractor through the dipstick to remove the oil so they do not have to fuss with removing the belly pan to get to the drain plug. Also, they use a plastic bag over the oil filter when removing it from the top to catch any oil from the filter. Don't know about the 1.8t but on my V6, I remove the left wheel well belly pan fasteners and the front one and am able to slip a pan between the belly pan and drain plug to catch the oil without the need to raise the car or completely remove the belly pan.

The oil capacity with the VW spec larger filter is 4.3 quarts. I assume the Mann is similar.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Do a search and you will find that many 1.8t owners use an oil extractor through the dipstick to remove the oil so they do not have to fuss with removing the belly pan to get to the drain plug. Also, they use a plastic bag over the oil filter when removing it from the top to catch any oil from the filter. Don't know about the 1.8t but on my V6, I remove the left wheel well belly pan fasteners and the front one and am able to slip a pan between the belly pan and drain plug to catch the oil without the need to raise the car or completely remove the belly pan.

The oil capacity with the VW spec larger filter is 4.3 quarts. I assume the Mann is similar.
Excluding the extractor, the best method I've read about is using a milk or other jug with the top cut off but handle left on to catch the filter when it's removed. Moving the coolant reservoir lets you lift the whole thing out. I've tried bags without much success. My last two changes I just used old bath towels to catch the filter and then wiped everything up with them. I'm lowered and I don't use ramps, just jack it up to from either side to get access to remove the belly pan and remove the drain plug. I usually raise it from the passenger side, but drop it back down before removing the drain plug all the way so the oil drains as completely as possible. There really isn't a much better smell on your hands than used motor oil.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I would say it is fairly easy. My Passat is the first car I've ever done an oil change on, and now I've done it a dozen times, each time using the MityVac 7201 vacuum extractor.

These I would classify as super easy. If you can't do these, don't do the oil change.
1. Check and add fluids - including coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid, engine oil, coolant.
2. Add air to a tire and check air pressure.
3. Fill up tank with gas (don't laugh, I know some people who are afraid to do this themselves).

I would say the oil change is the next level of difficulty, on par with changing a flat or rotating your tires, those two taking more strength, but less dexterity.

Oil capacity increases about 0.4 qts with the new filter. Make sure to use VW approved 502.00 oil only. Good luck!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Get your arse under zat Passat and remove das belly pan. Put ze auto on ze ramps and drain ze oil pan correctly. Achtung! ze oil filter. haven zie bier when finished

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,285 Posts
Un pimp Ze auto, lol. getting underneath has it's advantages.

1. you can hide from people.
2. you can checkout the undercarraige for any problems
3. You can clean up all the spilled oil from removingthe filter, it's practically inevitable. (I know about ziplock bag trick)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I also use the oil extractor...takes about 1/2hr (if I already have oil and filter). Remove 3 screws from coolant resevoir and disconnect plug move up and away, plast bag around filter and remove (I always put a couple of old towels underneath just incase). Very easy...I do it every 5K with Mobil 1 0w-40 and Mobil 1 high capacity filter (total about $50) but, my Ilse is worth it!

·
Registered
76 Posts
If your asking...then don't do it.
A guy shouldn't get specifics before doing maintanience?

I've changed the oil on every car I've owned but am here looking this up just to make sure I'm not caught off guard. Its a more complex car than my 66 mustang or 91 GTI; I guess I shouldn't change it since I needed to read up on it though. ; ) Good advice.

2,551 Posts
If your asking...then don't do it.
That really wasn't necessary.

Back to topic, the hardest part would be removing the belly pan if you are removing oil the traditional way and not using the mity vacuum. There is no need to raise the car as you can reach all the screws and fasteners on your back. Tool of choice for removing the screws and fasteners.

You're correct on removing the coolant tank. Will give you better access. Just remember to reconnect the sensor when finished. There is a circular opening underneath the filter on the carrier. The Bentley suggests stuffing it with a rag as there will likely be spilled oil. I have tried bags, containers, jugs, etc but can never manage spilling some oil from the filter.

Remember to lube the gasket on the filter with some fresh oil and hand tighten only. Some people like to fill the filter with some new oil as well. Just not know what exactly to do is frightening the first time, but I've never changed oil on a car before and have never watched it done on other cars and it's no problem. It's good time to spend with your car.

Just don't let your significant other catch you out there for too long!

good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts