Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently enrolled at a 2 year school finishing up some classes before I apply to a Degree program. I am taking 2 science classes where I need a letter of recommendation from one of my instructors. I am one of the top, if not the top student in both these classes.

Looking for some recommendations as to how I might get a letter. Will my status in the class give me a good chance for a letter, or should I start brown-nosing? Do instructors write letters pretty freely or do you really have to work them for it? Any recommendations as to how to approach them? I have until May.

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I had to ask for letters of recommendation when I applied for univ. and I really didn't have a problem. I wasn't the worse student but I wasn't the brightest as well. Its for a good cause. If your one of their best students, logically, there is no reason for them to say no. Go up to them one day after class and just ask them.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
What does it hurt to just be up front and ask? Don't be coy with issues concerning your future, or you will be left behind! Just hold your nuts, go up to your instructor and say.... " Listen up Pops, I'm busting my ass in your class. You gonna hook a brother up or what??"..

:p

Sike, just go up and ask... I'm sure your status in the class will merit an excellent recommendation..

Knock it out bro,

Will aka The Swami

·
Registered
342 Posts
A strong letter of rec. will have details about you as a person - not just as a student in one class. Try to find a prof. that knows a little about you or that you have had one on one conversations with.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Your grades should probably speak for themselves. These letters are probably more to let the school know what kind of person they're getting. 4.0 students can sometimes be a real bore, schools actually like/want well-rounded people.

Be upfront and ask those professors who you have a good relationship for letters.

I graduated undergrad almost 8 yrs ago with a chemical engineering degree. About 6 months ago I applied to grad school for ocean engineering and asked a former professor that I knew from taking a cold war class and a writing/literature class to write me a letter. She gave me a copy and none of it talked about me as a student. It talked more about me as a person, things I did and why she thought I would continue to be a good addition to a university program.

·
Registered
769 Posts
They like writing letters. Make a appt for office time 4-6 weeks before you want the letter - they are busy and need the extra time and its a buffer for your deadlines as well!

When you approach them make their life a lot easier by giving them a resume or short biography letter of pts you would like stressed. That way they can easily make their letter a lot more detailed and intresting. Put in the biography/personal statement your recent activities/any honors/awards/ what you are using the letters for/ and a sincere thank you for their time.

A month after your request mail a thank you card - even if they have not written a letter - trust me there is no guilt like being thanked for something you forgot to do. I recieved half my letters a week after they got my thank you card! I think they get busy and forget and its the gentle reminder as well as reminding them how much you appreciate what they are doing for you. I know ..I am a clever lil monkey.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Juist go up and ask...Bitch gimme a rec. so I can get that degree and make that 100K salary after 40 years of loans.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts