Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need one.

I have used Chemdry, and while I like the kid/pet friendliness, it really didn't get out the tough stains from my two labs. We've got the typical puke, mud, mulch grind, pee (one lab is a pup) and need to really get tough....even if family and dogs have to vacate the house for awhile. Carpet is light beige and shows EVERYTHING (previous owners picked that wonderful color). Cost is not an option right now......need multiple rooms, stairs and hallways....gotta keep our carpet alive until next year when we can afford wood.

Thoughts? What have you guys used and been pleased with?

:wrench:

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Have you ever tried renting a wet/vac carpet cleaner? I've used them and they can get a lot of the dirt/stains out. Sometimes you need to do a little additional work on a problem area. (scrubbing, stain remover)

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have; however, I have TOO much square footage to do this entirely myself, unless I use one to hit up the specific areas.....

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
We bought a Bissell years ago when we still had a dog b/c he used to have accidents as he got older. I want to say that ours is like 10 years old now? There are rubber seals on it that I've had to replace but that's been about it.

The thing is, when you rent a cleaner or have someone do it, it looks fine until the next accident. With your own cleaner, as soon as there's an accident on the carpet (son spills red kool-aid) - I get that thing out and get it cleaned immediately.

I used to rent the cleaners and while those work well, to me, the Bissell does just as good a job plus I don't have to go to the store, wait in line to rent it, pack it in the car, take it back, wait in line again, clean up the spilled soap and water, etc.

The nice thing is too, about once a year I shampoo all the carpet out in the cars, the floors, trunk, floor mats and all that. Very handy.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 'rents have one and love it, and frankly, I'm surprised we've gone this long with dogs and child without one. We'll end up getting one after this for sure, but in the meantime...gotta get the carpets and throw rugs cleaned badly.

·
Administrator
588 Posts
Cornstarch - can be used to clean windows, polish furniture, shampoo carpets and rugs.

Make a solution with about 1part cornstarch to 2 part water, then add about a tablespoon lemon juice ( for acid ) and put the paste onto and tough stains scrub it in with a bristle brush. then let is stay over night or until completely dry, also sprinkle baking soda all over the carpet and vacuum that up, this will help lift stuck in dirt. Then just vacuum that up . Then go rent a carpet cleaner, they have the upright ones that are basically like a vacuum. Add Borax - {(sodium borate) cleans, deodorizes, disinfects, softens water} to the water as well as the cleaning solution so that the water is softer and helps to pick up stains. that should make the carpet shine :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Never knew you could people to clean houses but you learn something everyday. Originally had a proper steamer one but stupidly sold it about 15 years ago and now got a VAX I got 7 years ago and its brilliant especially considering the price compared to others. While on the subject of hoovers I would recommend not buying a Dyson, there unreliable and over priced.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well...I'm not getting a personal one now....will later....but need a company for the now. Looking at a "dry" chemical company today.....they don't use water....interesting.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
If you're going to do a thorough job with rented equipment, you need to get one of these. Your local big box home center will have them. Waaaay more suction than an upright cleaner.

We rent one every year and do the whole house, then go over to my parents and go through theirs as well. Pre-treat before you rent so that you're not wasting rental time.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, we decided to go with Magna Dry, a dry carpet cleaning solution company. They come in and vacuum, clean the baseboards, then clean the carpet. Getting upstairs hallway, daughter's bedroom, stairs, living room and dining room cleaned. I'll let you know my honest opinion of outcome afterwards; however, I appreciate the recommendations on personal carpet cleaners. We will most likely be getting one to "maintain" after Christmas.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no quote. He actually came out with that tool that does exact measurements (roller type) and gave me a hard estimate. $195

1 - 14 of 14 Posts