Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Let's play: What's It Worth?!

1K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  getlost4x4 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey, guys!

I just became the proud owner of a black on tan, 1999 VW Passat 1.8t! I think i got a really good deal on it, and i wanted to get a second opinion on the worth of the car.

There is 89,200 kms on the car (I am 3rd owner, 1st was an 80 yr old man) The interior is mint, leather in perfect condition, everything works + a panasonic deck. Exterior is mint aswell, saftied and etested and drives very smooth.

I am planning to do some mods, but in the current condition, what do you think this car could reasonably sell for? (i had a very hard time even finding this year/model with similar kms)

Also, it came with an extra set of winter tires!

Thanks guys!

#7 ·
i would agree with the 5000 - 6000 price range. However, i would have to state i would only pay on the 5k side of this vehicle. if you did pay around 6, i would not say you were ripped off. these vehicles have a hold on me. if i had to sell mine i would look into another.

absolutely in love with the quality of the build of the passat. the absolute epitome in the blend of sport luxury and perfomance.... reliability, well it requires, but whatever. most return in your driving experience. like i said, totally in love with the quality of this build

#10 ·
absolutely in love with the quality of the build of the passat. the absolute epitome in the blend of sport luxury and perfomance.... reliability, well it requires, but whatever. most return in your driving experience. like i said, totally in love with the quality of this build
I gotta agree on this point. I paid $4500 canadian and I was told that is a lot for a '99 by a guy who drives a honda, I asked him if he'd ever driven a passat.. and my inclination was correct, lol :p

These cars hold value, especially with only 89k.. not looking to sell it right now anyway, but if i did i'd be listing it around $6000, and id be looking to get minimum $5500.

#13 ·
modding a car can make the value go up but there are two problems with that.

1. all the mods need to be done right and look good

2. you need to find someone who actually cares that the mods have been done.

$4500 seems like a pretty good price on the car to me considering the low mileage

#14 ·
yeah, nothing too crazy..

I want the standard B5 mods.. badgeless grille, halo headlights, black 18" rims, smoked tails, mirrors w/ turn signals, bmw chirp... lol, not too much :wrench:

Im not sure if the mods will end up costing me or not though when it comes time to list by either depreciating the value (i think unlikely), or simply not increasing the value and thus basically being wasting money for my enjoyment and not benefit.

#15 ·
The KBB private party price for this car with it's mileage is $4,531 in Buffalo NY. Canada has no BlueBook so that was as close as I could find.
Link: Kelley Blue Book

There's nothing wrong with doing mods and there's tons of pride of ownership and accomplishment when you do it, just don't expect to sell it for $6K when you're done.
Not trying to burst your bubble but unless you find a wide-eyed kid to buy a car with 18" wheels, halos and smoked tails for more than $4K, you will be doing this for your pleasure.

#18 ·
Passats are cheap in buffalo .....I paid $720.00 for a 2000 V6 passat 5 seed manual wagon with 103,000 miles and the previous owner drove it over to my house to deliver it.

It was almost due for a timing belt, needed control arms, a sunroof motor complete brake job, tires & cam tensioner oil seal. I put just under $1000.00 into parts/tires and its ready for the next 60,000 miles good thing i dont have to cost justify the 20 plus hours of my labor :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.