Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Superbad
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta take the b5 in for its biennium inspection. So, the great state of NJ has recently changed its whole inspection criteria effective Aug. 2010, it will only do strictly Emissions, No mechanical i.e wipers,headlights,brakes,tints etc etc.

Car: 99 B5 AEB FWD 1.8T
GIAC chipped (93 Octane) / K03 / FMIC / FORGE 007 / ABD Intake / 2.5" 034 Motorsport TP w/ Anti Fouler / 2.5" TT Downpipe / 2.5" Jetex Catback / BKR7E gapped @ 0.028"

No CEL via VAG COM

Chassis Type: 3B - VW Passat B5
Scan: 01 02 03 08 15 16 17 19 35 36 37 46 47 55 56 57 58 75 76 77

Mileage: 209250km/130021miles
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: 058-907-55x-AEBN.lbl
Part No: 8D0 907 557 P
Component: 1.8L R4/5VT MOTR AT D02
Coding: 06051
Shop #: WSC 05314
VCID: 3D7FCD121DF7

No fault code found.
Readiness: 0000 0000

Wednesday,29,December,2010,17:50:28:25328
VCDS Version: Release 10.6.3 (x64)
Data version: 20101206

Readiness Status: 0000 0000
Exhaust Gas Recirculation: Passed
Oxygen Sensor Heating: Passed
Oxygen Sensor(s): Passed
Air Conditioning: Passed
Seconday Air Injection: Passed
Evaporative Emissions: Passed
Catalyst Heating: Passed
Catalytic Converter(s): Passed

Can i assume that since i have no CEL or codes stored, and my ECU telling VAG COM that my system readiness state is PASS for all comprehensive components that i will pass NJ EMISSIONS test via OBDII?

The no cel or code for O2 sensor means that my anti fouler is working, and that the O2 sensors are communicating despite not having a CAT? (TP has been installed for ~3500 miles)

Will a functioning O2 sensor w/ No CEL still report back high amounts of HC (hydrocarbons) or CO2 via OBDII and cause me to fail?

AFAIK, they don't do sniffer/tailpipe test only Emissions via OBDII and Gas/Evap Test...can anyone else from NJ that recently got inspected confirm this?

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
go into the vagcom engine and look up the readiness if its all pass you are good

·
Superbad
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
go into the vagcom engine and look up the readiness if its all pass you are good
it's all PASS. VAG-COM: 01-Engine; View Readiness (SET READINESS) is grayed out, but its all PASS. lol the above was my scan. It can't be that simple, is that all i need?

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Really depends on how they do the test under the new system. If they do a tailpipe test (like they do here) it may not pass; if they do a visual inspection of the emissions components (like they do in CA and some other states) the physical lack of a CAT is a fail.

·
Superbad
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FAILED visual for my CAT or lack there of :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I passed every Emissions Test via OBDII and System Readiness. They even put it on the lift to look for it ahhhhhhhhhhhh

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
so you passed the emissions but failed the visual? what bullshit.

you should go find some metal heat shielding and just weld that to your downpipe and make it look like there is a cat :lol:

or you could have just told him it was aftermarket and on the bottom.

·
Superbad
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so you passed the emissions but failed the visual? what bullshit.

you should go find some metal heat shielding and just weld that to your downpipe and make it look like there is a cat :lol:

or you could have just told him it was aftermarket and on the bottom.
being that it's a private facility, they slashed my inspection decal in half. Supposedly private facilities aren't given rejected stickers. Now i'm going to stick out like a sore thumb AHHHHHHHHH

i may have to put my CAT back on damnitttt:mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Superbad
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are high flow cats available.
http://www.techtonicstuning.com/main/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_28_305_309&products_id=672

Some people run a cat whose core has broken up into little chunks small enough to fall out the end of the tailpipe. :angel:
I'm not as cool as you and your clogged up CAT.

But....I'm going to put my Catalytic Converter back on tomorrow ahhh and its going to SNOW WTF man :mad::mad:. I was going to wait til the spring to install my K04/PC16 setup, but now i will have to do it sooner. At least labor will be the same to reinstall my Testpipe during the K04 install.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts