Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
passaturbonium said:
2. What would happen to YOU if YOU and your friend went hunting and you "accidently" shot him? Charges etc..etc....
Hunting accidents happen all the time. A civil lawsuit maybe if you injure them, manslaughter charges if you kill them. It does depend on the exact circumstances though.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
that was for some additional sticker on top of his valid license for a specific type of hunting, if I read the article correctly.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Macabre said:
that was for some additional sticker on top of his valid license for a specific type of hunting, if I read the article correctly.
From what I understand, he had purchased the federal tags for hunting the birds. Texas has a new tag that is an additional $7.00. That is what he was missing. He was warned, as would most everyone when something is new and they had all the previous proper licenses.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
passaturbonium said:
2. What would happen to YOU if YOU and your friend went hunting and you "accidently" shot him? Charges etc..etc....
Nothing would happen to you if it was an "accident". BTW...why are you putting "" around accidently. You are not suggesting he did it on purpose are you?

If he dies the VP would automatically be investigated by the district attorney from that county. That would be standard procedure in any death, accidental or not.

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
Sciteach said:
If he dies the VP would automatically be investigated by the district attorney from that county. That would be standard procedure in any death, accidental or not.
That's true. However, the police procedures surrounding this case have been, um, irregular, what with allowing the Veep to come in the day after the shooting to make a statement. If that was one of us, we'd be downtown and doing a Breathalyzer. Allowing for the Veep's celebrity, the query should have started immediately and at the ranch away from the crowds.

But between the cops giving the Veep a pass on a gun accident, and the late reporting of the event to the press, this is one bungled effort.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Harvey Wallbanger said:
That's true. However, the police procedures surrounding this case have been, um, irregular, what with allowing the Veep to come in the day after the shooting to make a statement. If that was one of us, we'd be downtown and doing a Breathalyzer. Allowing for the Veep's celebrity, the query should have started immediately and at the ranch away from the crowds.

But between the cops giving the Veep a pass on a gun accident, and the late reporting of the event to the press, this is one bungled effort.
I wouldn't call it a pass. It's the VP, of course it will be irregular. You and I are not next in line for the presidency. There will be some preferential treatment given.

As for the bungled effort, I agree. Although, with the highly charged atmosphere in Washington, there was no good way to release it.

·
Rogue Assassin
2,977 Posts
This is all much ado about nothing. Hunting accidents are a dime a dozen. They happen all the time, and are completely unnewsworthy.

The interesting story here is the delay in reporting it, and how in the world -- with the news media's omnipresence -- did no one tie this story together and release it within the first few hours. Given the standard blanket coverage of the administration, it boggles the mind that this story didn't hit until the VP's office released info on it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Harvey Wallbanger said:
Allowing for the Veep's celebrity, the query should have started immediately and at the ranch away from the crowds.
What, and not have any sobering up time?! This is the Vice President of the US we're talking about. His busy schedule doesn't allow him to come in for...let's see, let me look at my chart...250 lbs, 5 beers...at least four hours. Make it five hours to be safe - he's next in line for the presidency, and therefore very busy. Well, five hours from now is kind of late, so let's just agree on tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
raven said:
What, and not have any sobering up time?! This is the Vice President of the US we're talking about. His busy schedule doesn't allow him to come in for...let's see, let me look at my chart...250 lbs, 5 beers...at least four hours. Make it five hours to be safe - he's next in line for the presidency, and therefore very busy. Well, five hours from now is kind of late, so let's just agree on tomorrow morning.
I haven't been following this story closely. Are you saying there is evidence he was drunk at the time of the accident?

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
passaturbonium said:
1. I never heard of ANYONE hunting for birds with a shootie before.....please educate me on that...
By "shootie" you mean a shotgun? That's the most common way to hunt game birds. Unless you're Ted Nugent. I wonder if he just lets his whole quiver of arrows loose at once...

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
passaturbonium said:
1. I never heard of ANYONE hunting for birds with a shootie before.....please educate me on that.

Well, you may be alone in having not heard of bird hunting before. Folks hunt a variety of birds. It's pretty common, at least in this country.

As to question #2, it depends on how badly he was hurt and how good our friendship is. Depending on those factors, I think it could range from nothing would happen at all to I got my ass sued in civil court and had to pay major $$ to the victim. Assuming it was a true accident, I see little likelihood anyone would get jail time for something like this.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts