Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I'm kinda new around here, but been dealing more with Mk2, B5 A4, and car audio. I bought my wagon with intention to use it as my next project (car audio competition and show car), but my kid took the A4, and future ex took the wagon, while I drove a titan. but shit happens and she's got the titan and I got the wagon, so let's proceed

I've been fortunate to met quite a bit of folks in the industry, one that particularly likes to push me a lot to get back into the game. So after Spring Break Nationals and lots of conversation we came to an agreement to build the car. Teaser.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Four years ago? LOL.. Yes, I've been working on it, sloooowlly, I had to make some changes to the trunk due to the size of the amps. I have everything laid out in the trunk, just need to do some trim work and wire up the equipment. Up front is another story.
Headunit is in, didn't like it protruding like it was so, I worked on sinking it into the dash (minor/major reworking), now having issues with the radio trim ring getting it to stay in place.
Tweeters are going where the factory ones are just angled up and towards the dome light, midbass (8") still trying to decide if I want them in the door or build kick panels for them.
Midranges are going in the pillars, major work needed to get them the way I want them to at least the panels haven't cracked like on the B5 A4.

Other than that, I have other more pressing issues than this at the moment, but I do have a lot of pictures, just trying to finish it before I post more pictures.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it playing. 8" midbass need a little more work. But it plays and sounds good for a sound quality car, just need to get tuned. And drop in all the interior.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay lets update this and resurrect it from the dead..

Okay, so I'm going to walk you thru my on going build of my wagon:

Components:
Beyma speakers:
SD-35 dome midrange will be changing to 3FR30 this week (but I will show you the current setup)
eXperience Tweeter
8br40/N 8" midbass/Woofer (pro audio)
MetalPro 1000 10" sub (availability is limited, nice sounding aluminum cone subwoofer, might change in the future)

Soundigital Amps:
2 - EVO 400.4 100w x4 , 200w x 2 bridged, running bridged to mids and tweeters
1 - Evolution 800.4 200w x 4, running midbass and subs

Headunit
Pioneer P9 combo (currently have both CD and dvd changers in the car, due tot he faulty ribbon cable on the face)

Vehicle:
2002 Black VW Passat Wagon 1.8T Automatic
swapped powered/heated seats into the car (black, minor rip on the drivers seat)
Lowered on raceland Ultimo coilovers
Running Audi S4 !7" Avus wheels

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First off, the headunit install. I used two methods

a) using the single din solution using factory pocket to turn the double din into a single din:

to accomplish that I need to trim the headunit of the tabs it had on the sides to I could get it to sit deeper into the dash:

sitting deeper in the dash:

That solution was more of a jerry rig as the case was really what kept the radio in place when sliding in the dash piece..

b) Permanent solution:

Took a Metra Double Din kit and a Metra pocket and built a single din with pocket dash kit using CA glue and ABS.
Part one, glue the pocket:

Sand the hardened CA glue smooth to make it unnoticeable and give the abs some texture..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still uploading pictures. There's a few that went to Last year of Sowo that met up for the Passat GTG got to see what I was doing, that changed a bit.. I'm now fulltime competing in Sound Quality, so I'm quasi sponsored now and will possibly start doing sales locally for Beyma and Soundigital Amps. The pictures I will be posting is just a system to get enough points to qualify for MECA SQ Finals, before that event I will be sporting a different install and newer equipment, but in the mean time, enjoy and ask away..

If anyone wants the original pillars I posted, pay for shipping and they can be yours.. any speaker 3.5" or smaller will fit it.. currently covered in black carpet..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Door sails

Originally VW was gracious to put some small tweeters in the sails, but, always a but, they were way smaller than the tweeters I was going to run
(first version of a pillars in the background)

Used grill cloth and resing to make it permanent

rougn sanded

Sanding, primer, and paint

Plans are to cover in Vinyl for finals..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A-pillars
I went thru two iterations one for SBN and another afterwards (feedback from show)

Pre-SBN (not going to go into much detail as it lasted one event)

Post SBN (current but going to change soon, ask away, but going to keep it just pictures)

Sanded, primer, paint

Installed

outside view

next version will be using different speakers, so lets see..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Midbass
Since I have a autotragic I can play with a 8" midbass in the kicks. (these are rough to gain points to qualify)

prep worK

1 - 17 of 17 Posts