Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...about an oil change. This is in regards to a 2004 GLS 1.8t. On the drain plug bolt, there's a washer. This washer doesn't come off - it will not slip off the end of the bolt and can't be "threaded" off. With the OEM oil filter came an aluminum crush washer. I asked a tech at the VW dealership about it and he said to cut off the washer that's on the bolt now and replace it with the aluminum crush washer.

When I did the first oil change I simply left the washer that was on the bolt in place and shelved the crush washer. I was in the hurry and didn't want to do something stupid. There have been no leaks and no problems with just leaving the washer in place that came on the bolt.

So, now that I'm doing another oil change, should I cut the washer off that's there now and replace it with the aluminum crush washer? Should I simply put the crush washer on, putting both in place? Should I stuff socks in the drain plug hole and leave the bolt out all together? Should I go drink beer, pass out, and not worry about changing my oil?

I am doing the oil change today and heading out of town tomorrow, so I'd appreciate a quick reply. I appreciate any help you guys can give me!

Abe

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
you can either do the same thing as you did before or slip the alum washer onto the bolt with the first washer intact and torque it down . . . . either way doesn't matter although if it were me, i'd just leave it off.

Dave

·
Registered
675 Posts
Use the old plug and washer. As long as the plug bolt and washer are not damaged in any way and the mating surfaces are clean, it will not leak.

I still have the orginal plug/washer assembly on my V6 and have done 5 oil changes. No leaks 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.