Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know lots of people in CB5 have tinted tails, but I was wondering if anyone has had problems with cops, since my friend (and common sense) keep telling me that tinted tails=trouble. But if anyone knows the law (specifically Va's), I'd appreciate it.

Oh, and if anyone knows what the max (legal) tint is on the rearest windows of a Variant (I'm thinkin limo tint's legal, right?), I'd be grateful.

·
0 Posts
I was told by a cop on my block, That it does not matter what the outter color of the light housing is as long as all light meet d.o.t standards, markers lights solid red, brakes lights bright red, backup light white. But are you gonna listen to some cop! :lol:

·
Registered
486 Posts
I gotta question 20v's source. There is one other "thing" which is considered when looking at tinted tails. What is the percentage of light that shines through? If you were to buy those cheap ass GTO covers PepBoys sells you'd be in trouble. Most of the cheap ones block out 50% or more of the light. This means its harder for other cars to see your lights and cops can bust you for it.

I had custom tail light blackouts made for my Galant and they let 90% of the light through. I have had cops follow me at night(and day) and wait till I hit my brakes to see how much light comes through. They all left me alone when they saw how much light shone through.

I can't speak to how dark nightshade makes tails.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
dapsteez said:
I know lots of people in CB5 have tinted tails, but I was wondering if anyone has had problems with cops, since my friend (and common sense) keep telling me that tinted tails=trouble. But if anyone knows the law (specifically Va's), I'd appreciate it.

Oh, and if anyone knows what the max (legal) tint is on the rearest windows of a Variant (I'm thinkin limo tint's legal, right?), I'd be grateful.
Its best to talk to your local PD about tinting. VA cops known to be pretty fked up when it comes to tint. The tinted tails should be legal as long as others can clearly see turn sig, brake light, and rear lights. But again go to the PD and ask for the community affairs officer and talk to him directly, patrol officers usually dont know the truth and do what all other officers do.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I've got stock Euro tails on my CGT which are tinted I've never had a problem, but I guess it all depends on the cop and what you are doing. I mean if you get pulled over for 90 in a 35, they'll throw the book at you for everthing they can find. But you need to make sure that your tail lights are still bright enought to see easily...

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
duandcc said:
I've got stock Euro tails on my CGT which are tinted I've never had a problem, but I guess it all depends on the cop and what you are doing. I mean if you get pulled over for 90 in a 35, they'll throw the book at you for everthing they can find. But you need to make sure that your tail lights are still bright enought to see easily...
Definately, i feel that it is one of thoose things that by itself they wouldnt car about, but if you did something major they would find some little way in which they were illegal

·
Registered
577 Posts
Other than in a few states, (where only 35% is legal) all tint on windows is illegal. I dont know what to say about the tails though...

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
A few states? MOST states allow window tint, some just allow very light tininting, others can be much darker. Check out http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html and click on the state in question to view the laws...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, VA is 50% up front, 35% rear, and 28% rear window. I just wasn't sure about third row windows, but I'm thinkin anything goes. Thanks all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts