Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that an either a low glow (few leds) or a mild light (as much as daytime running lights) behind the VW symbol on the stock grill would stand out (especially at night when I do a majority of my driving.) I wonder is having a third headlight or any lighting on the grill legal?

Noticed I didn't ask if it's possible, anything is possible. I'd just rather find out if it's legal before I go bawls to the walls on this mission. Suicide doors I can't do on my own but this, this I may be able to pull off.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I dont think its illegal but I personally would not do it on my car. Too cheap looking.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Christian P said:
I think that an either a low glow (few leds) or a mild light (as much as daytime running lights) behind the VW symbol on the stock grill would stand out (especially at night when I do a majority of my driving.) I wonder is having a third headlight or any lighting on the grill legal?

Noticed I didn't ask if it's possible, anything is possible. I'd just rather find out if it's legal before I go bawls to the walls on this mission. Suicide doors I can't do on my own but this, this I may be able to pull off.
I think it depends more on the color of your backlighting, Christian. Here in Ohio you can't do red, and blue is frowned upon as well. And a flashing light is DEFINITELY out of the question. ;) Check with your local Police department for the lighting regulations. Ricers do neon behind the grill all the time, I don't see why your idea would not be allowed.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I would think as long as the light is white it's fine. Late 80's Mercury Sables had that light bar going across the whole front as well as the early 90's (?) Pontiac Grand Prix.

·
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow a guy idea. Hmm maybe you were trying to say 'gay' Mr. Smoking Passat? How is that pool tubing working for the COAM? Really that good that you got smoke effects? And if there is anything that my car can handle, (more like dominate) is your Passat from 80 to 120 mph. Not that you need to go that fast, but I left you a few car lengths behind.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Guys, the mkIV Jetta forum just called: they want you home by 7:30 and washed up for dinner.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I remember seeing someone who did the Knight Rider KIT lighting in the front. I wanna do the same since I have a black car and its my favorit show and its the reason why I got black;)

·
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Passat is all black with black leather. Not Kit but more of a German cousin to Kit.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Christian P said:
My Passat is all black with black leather. Not Kit but more of a German cousin to Kit.
Uhhmm KITT had velour seats :p

I wanna get this lighting kit. I also want it to have the wroo-wrooo sound :thumbup:

·
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just checked and it is illegal to have any lighting, (neons, running board lights) that is not headlights or factory installed. However if there is a internal on/off swich that can be controlled, the lighting is not illegal. I'll let you guys take a look at this mod after I take the grill off and see what I can do.

8,184 Posts
Christian P said:
Wow a guy idea. Hmm maybe you were trying to say 'gay' Mr. Smoking Passat? How is that pool tubing working for the COAM? Really that good that you got smoke effects? And if there is anything that my car can handle, (more like dominate) is your Passat from 80 to 120 mph. Not that you need to go that fast, but I left you a few car lengths behind.
I want a rematch on flat land. You will need to get a rolling start. I will have you on flat road boy :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
pson said:
Sorry I will stop. just egging him on :bowdown:
You can stop egging him on in regards to the race, but I will egg him on in regards to the mod... "kit - silent mode" .. "yes michael" .. "woo woo .. woo woo"

Actually, a better idea -- does anyone know if they make a 'BATMAN' logo the size of the VW emblem? That would be batass. Put a flood light behind that baby.

·
Registered
69 Posts
you can call your local law enforcement and check what's legal or illegal, those wiper spray lights most people are installing are illegal and you will get a ticket for it. i guess anything that is not a headlight, fog light or driving light are illegal and will get cited for it. just make sure its not red, blue, green, yellow, or light blue. if its not coming out of your headlights don't install it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts