Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Friends,

i have a problem with my hand break. when i pull hand break it works fine right side with my rear tire. but on left side it is weak to hold it tight. One of my mechanic told that i have a bad left brake caliper. need to change both brake caliper if i buy new one and it is a little bit costly.

so i was thinking is there a temporary fix by tightening or adjusting the brake cable, will it damage brake shoe in short period if i tight brake cable? or is there a way i can tight the left side cable.
another of my mechanic told that he can fix it by doing something with cable. once he showed me that left caliper is not getting enough cable tention but i am thinking will it damage brake shoe in long run,

need suggestion and help!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
While it is possible that the hand brake mechanism on your left caliper is seized and the caliper needs replacing it is more likely the cable is seized and needs to be replaced. The cable is self adjusting and does not normally need adjustment. Each time you pull on the hand brake the cable self adjusts. You could try setting and releasing the hand brake several times each day over the next week to see if it helps. Or there is an adjustment procedure for new cables you can try.

If the caliper is at fault there is no need to replace both calipers. You only need to replace the faulty one.

You are in no danger of damaging the brake pads by adjusting the hand brake. Unless you adjusted it so the brakes were on constantly and burned up the pads and rotors. As long as the wheel turns freely when the the hand brake is released you should be fine.

I would go with the second mechanic and try his adjustment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all thanks for your reply and valuable suggestion, when i asked mechanic changing caliper, he told that i have to buy two as it is coming as a set. i am confusing why they are telling to buy two same caliper, is it really must! that makes my cost higher, even right now my hand brake is working but the problem was left side it is a bit weak and i have a inspection sooner so they might see it faulty.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You don't buy calipers in pair. They're sold as single units. I've replaced both my rear calipers when they failed successively. If the calipers are locked in place, your car should enter parking position with the brake on fine, and they should also make a horrible metal on metal grinding sound when driving. It seems that you'll need a new parking brake cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts