Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had this happen? I'm at about 27k miles now, and my Left Rear brake pads are at about 5%, but the Right Rears are at about 40%.

My independent mechanic actually asked me if I had driven with the hand brake on. :weirdo:
I drive pretty hard, but luckily I could sense something with the rear brakes and checked it out before the rotors got hosed.

He said that it's possible that the caliber is not releasing properly/completely, but just wondering whether anyone else had observed this?

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Whoa!! Visit your dealership and have those rear calipers and brake-lines checked because those items are still under warranty.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I don't know what the cause is, but it happened to me too. I noticed that I have about 5-10% pad life remaining on the left rear pad, and about 25-30% on the right rear pad.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes same here. The left rear wheel on my ride produces the most brake dust and the pad is significantly thinner on that wheel than all the others. Since my 20k service is coming up, and since The Swami claims that this item is still under warranty, I'll have to give in and go to the Stealer to have the service done.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Could be a result of air in the brake lines on one side. Have your brakes bled, and as the previous caller said, check to make sure the calipers are sliding correctly on the retaining bolts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts