Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new set of headlight assemblies from Auto Lights and Light Bulbs - Autolightsbulbs.com a while ago to replace the faded factory headlights. Lights are very nice but the bulb holders are definitely not genuine VW. After much trial and error (buying multiple different bulb holders) I found out that the Mercedes Benz holders work with the lights. There's a LOT more to that story but I don't have that much time to spell it all out right now. Anyway...

After seeing two of my co-workers have awesome lights I asked what HID kits they installed in their vehicles and low and behold they both have LED kits from www.ddmtuning.com. They use the 35 watt "Raptor" bulbs and both of their vehicles look awesome so I pulled the trigger on the same set.

So here are my pictures of what I did to install the Raptor LED kit into my B5.5 Passat Wagon:

These are the tools that I used:

After you remove the factory H7 halogen bulb this is what you are left with:

You will then remove the metal bulb holder and then separate the plastic housing that holds the yellow and black female spade connectors because the male spades from DDM tuning are much thinner gauge metal than the spades on the H7 bulb so you need to remove the female spades from the holder assembly so you can crimp them down to properly hold the spades from the DDM tuning balasts. BTW, DO NOT LOSE THE TOP CLIP! I say that because one of mine dropped down in the engine and I had to fish it out of the skid plate. The top and bottom black plastic pieces are critical to holding the female spades properly:

These female metal spade connections are what you lightly crimp down tighter. The metal loop pieces facing downward in this picture:

LED bulbs installed:

And a close picture at night:

The light difference is staggering. Life-changing. It's one of those "how did I ever NOT have these headlights installed" kind of things. :D :D

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,165 Posts
Here is a reply to make you feel better. I'm sure many people found your post interesting and bookmarked it in case they want to do a similar conversion. A lack of question indicates your description was well written and complete. OK?

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,394 Posts
Almost 60 views and zero replies? I wonder why I post anything at all. Maybe stop posting all together.
Aww come on. Don't be that way. It's a nice write-up, but could use some more explanation.

1. What was it about the bulb holder that needed changing? That long story you alluded to; would be nice to expand on that.
2. were you able to reinstall the dust cover to keep out dirt and moisture? How does that look?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I appreciate the write up.

I wouldn't get discouraged with seeing a bunch of reviews and no replies. It has only been 2 days since you posted. Many people will view something and not say anything. I know I do it but I don't have time to reply to every post I look at.

I would like to know where you got the clips. I replaced my light assemblies a while back due to the adjusters were broken and fitted new bulbs (can not remember where I got them for the life of me) The light output is a big difference then standard but I would like even more like the LED's you have.

I think a bit more info is needed like VAGguy mentioned.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would like to see pictures of what the projection looks like. Aimed at the garage door or the wall of a gas station perhaps.

I currently have HID but have been wanting to switch to LED for a while. However I also do not have stock headlights. I bought TYC stock style replacements a while ago, and fortunately they not only have fresnel-free lenses(crucial for running HID properly) but also can have their low beam cutoff line changed between strait across and having the bump-up in the middle.

One of the reasons I want to switch to LED is possibly much less UV light output. My stock headlights got yellowed from the inside such that no amount of sanding and polishing would do any good.

·
Registered
275 Posts
A picture of how they look on the road would be good. How are they different than the plug and play? Really no info on what bulbs you bought or even a photo. I put some plug and play $12 LEDs from ebay in my Prius and they are incredible comparing to the halogen bulbs. Was thinking of doing the same to my Passat but mine has the projector lens and am not sure how that would look.
TomK

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice white color LED. How's the projection distance? How did they perform when it rains? Are you going to replace the high beam bulbs with LEDs as well? BTW, the headlight assembly seems not fit the bumper well from the last picture.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I purchased a new set of headlight assemblies from Auto Lights and Light Bulbs - Autolightsbulbs.com a while ago to replace the faded factory headlights. Lights are very nice but the bulb holders are definitely not genuine VW. After much trial and error (buying multiple different bulb holders) I found out that the Mercedes Benz holders work with the lights. There's a LOT more to that story but I don't have that much time to spell it all out right now. Anyway...

After seeing two of my co-workers have awesome lights I asked what HID kits they installed in their vehicles and low and behold they both have LED kits from www.ddmtuning.com. They use the 35 watt "Raptor" bulbs and both of their vehicles look awesome so I pulled the trigger on the same set.

So here are my pictures of what I did to install the Raptor LED kit into my B5.5 Passat Wagon:

These are the tools that I used:

After you remove the factory H7 halogen bulb this is what you are left with:

You will then remove the metal bulb holder and then separate the plastic housing that holds the yellow and black female spade connectors because the male spades from DDM tuning are much thinner gauge metal than the spades on the H7 bulb so you need to remove the female spades from the holder assembly so you can crimp them down to properly hold the spades from the DDM tuning balasts. BTW, DO NOT LOSE THE TOP CLIP! I say that because one of mine dropped down in the engine and I had to fish it out of the skid plate. The top and bottom black plastic pieces are critical to holding the female spades properly:

These female metal spade connections are what you lightly crimp down tighter. The metal loop pieces facing downward in this picture:

LED bulbs installed:

And a close picture at night:

The light difference is staggering. Life-changing. It's one of those "how did I ever NOT have these headlights installed" kind of things. :D :D
Man what a cool look at the nitty gritty process! Will definitely take these things into account when my LEDs come in! ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,394 Posts
Nice white color LED. How's the projection distance? How did they perform when it rains? Are you going to replace the high beam bulbs with LEDs as well? BTW, the headlight assembly seems not fit the bumper well from the last picture.
The bumper cover was not totally installed. You can see where it perfectly lines up at the hood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts