Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Though I'm not really known around this forum, I've been helped from time to time by users of this messageboard. I've had very bad experiences with VW's service department for both small and major fixes over the two years I've owned the Passat, and VWOA does not give a shit what happens at their dealer network...so I left. I got a 2003 GMC Envoy in dark green. The Passat was a good car, however I will never buy a car from VW if they continue to treat their customers like crap.

Again, thanks for all the help, both big and small.

-174thfwff

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yup, I know how you feel. I am running at 68k miles and only been to the dealer three times. The first one was the free maintenance service. The other two were nightmares. After that, I service my own or service at my friend's garage. For the past 20k, it has been very reliable.

Unless there is a major recall, I don't think I will go back to the dealer again for their service.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
This is really a sad reflection on VWoA. The GMC Envoy has been trashed in every review that I have read, yet I can absolutely believe that you will at least experience better customer service if and when problems arise. And it has also been my experience that while American car don't have the greatest reliability, the service departments can generally fix them without much trouble. Good luck to you.

4meezy, In my area the local VW dealership is also the local Audi dealership. The cars are pulled into the same service bay and are worked on by the same mechanics. To leave VW for Audi for me would just mean I am paying more money to experience the same poor level of customer service. Other than price, and the fact that the average Audi has more widgits than my current Passat so it is likely to me more problem plagued, not much would be different.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Good luck, sad to see a :b5: er go, but it's understandable.........and 4meezy, even if you go to Audi, and it is a great car Co., did down, it's still owned by VW :lol: ..............Rah............. :b5: :thumbup: .

·
Registered
199 Posts
jaero said:
4meezy, In my area the local VW dealership is also the local Audi dealership. The cars are pulled into the same service bay and are worked on by the same mechanics. To leave VW for Audi for me would just mean I am paying more money to experience the same poor level of customer service. Other than price, and the fact that the average Audi has more widgits than my current Passat so it is likely to me more problem plagued, not much would be different.
Exactly. "Leaving" VW for Audi would indeed just be giving more money to VW. Its a shame since I like the looks of VW/Audis more than most other cars, but if you're going to ditch your VW because of service/quality problems you really have to ditch the whole company. Otherwise you continue to support the same bastards that caused you so much stress.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, my parents also have a Envoy..I love it. That's why I'm buying one. It's thirsty, yes. However it's a SUV.

I don't read reviews anymore. I go and test drive the car for myself. Review magazines bash 12k Cavilers and they expect them to be more like a BMW 530...(not saying exactly that situation, but you catch my drift).

But thanks for the kind words.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I can imagine your frustration. Although I have had very few major issues (as I knock on wood!) those that could have been a huge headache were resolved with effort from the technician who works on my car and the service manager. Although I would agree that it shouldn't be so, sometimes it makes a difference in the level of "going to bat", if you will, what kind of personal relationship you have with those that service your car. I hope your experience with your Envoy is better.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Good luck with the American stuff I never had any luck with them! And with the Gas Prices going to rise over $2.00 a gallon by summer have fun feeding that thing. The Gas is the reason I not driving my 2002 F150 HArley Edition S/C any more $45 to fill and gone in 250 miles :shock: Ouch! Good Luck

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have had little problems with my 98 Passat but more with my 2003 GMC. And the gas...forget about it $$$! Good Luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My only word of advise, is be ready to dump cash into your GM automatic transmission. They are crap. I once bought a Olds with 60k, loved the car. 3 weeks after I bought it, the tranny went out. Needless to say, I was outraged. I payed to have it rebuilt, the shop claimed that the "reverse drum" in the tranny was of faulty design, and had a newly designed replacement. Fair enough, right? Well exactly one year later, the tranny went again. I had it rebuilt again, and sold it immediately thereafter. That experience taught me a lesson. I have never, and will never own another automatic transmission from any manufacturer period. It is far less expensive to replace a clutch than an automatic transmission.
The oddest experience I ever had was getting rid of this car....The car was the luxury edition, leather, not a scratch on it, at 92k, I couldn't get any more than $4000 for it. The resale value of American made vehicles is much lower than imports from either Japan or Europe. I will never ever own another GM EVER!!
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't read reviews anymore. I go and test drive the car for myself. Review magazines bash 12k Cavilers and they expect them to be more like a BMW 530...(not saying exactly that situation, but you catch my drift).
Ok, you said "not saying exactly that situation" but I can't help but comment.

The car magazines bash $12k Cavaliers because they seldom match up with their own self-proclaimed competition - Corollas, Civics, Sentras, etc. - in any category. I'm not sure what it would take for me to purchase an American branded/designed/engineered/managed corps car. Maybe if it were engineered by Japanese and Germans and the management (pencil pushers, CEO, President...) was located in Europe of Asia. Of course you must ask yourself how "American" that is. At least this isn't China and I can actually choose what I drive and the level of quality (not just reliablity) that I'll accept. And at the current rate my VW is pushing me to permanent Japanese ownership status.

I'll cut myself off...

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
I have never, and will never own another automatic transmission from any manufacturer period.
Eh, I've driven automatics from Dodge, Honda, GM, Ford, Mazda and VW. With the exception of the last one (current car) all have seen uninterrupted service to 150,000 miles and beyond (most with no fluid change or transmission service of any kind :oops: ). Me thinks you got a lemon.

Anyway, to 174thfwff, good luck with your new wheels! Enjoy!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Wait for the 2005 Suburban. I heard that it will have the Duramax Diesel/Allsion Tranny package (Suburban HD). I own a 2001 GMC Sierra 2500 HD with the DMAX/Allison, and I love it. I bought my Passat so that I didn't have to beat my truck up on my 140mi. round trip to and from work. I haven't had any problems with it yet. It is ridiculously powerful, yet very, very quiet for a diesel. IMO, it's quieter than the new Ford engines. Just something to think about (Smog, gas prices, etc.). BTW, my friend owns an Envoy, and that thing is constantly in the shop he says. Just something to think about. Sorry to see you go. :beer: :b5:

·
Registered
124 Posts
XCMTBing said:
At least this isn't China and I can actually choose what I drive and the level of quality (not just reliablity) that I'll accept.
:???: :???: China is a huge market for VW and Mercedes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
20 Participants
Beavis
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing