Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
I agree! I couldn't tell the difference except for the price :D I got the dark grey(anthrite-sp?) and love it! Everyone who sees it thinks its leather, not that I care what they think :lol:

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Leatherette is far superior to leather, IMO. More durable, no real care issues.
Its still referrred to as "taxi-leather" in Europe, and is available in most models over there - BMW, Mercedes, etc.

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
I have leather in my 99 and leatherette in my 04.5 and while the leatherette is FAR easier to clean and keep clean (no crease lines like leather and anthracite vs. tan) it SUCKS in the summer. My leather seats don't make me sweat to any noticeable degree where the leatherette makes it very noticeable. But a plus for the leatherette is that my workout shirts and soccer jerseys don't get all staticy (is that a word) like in my 99. Last, for $1800 and HAVING to get woodgrain (which I can't stand!) I'll pass on OEM leather and get anftermarket for half the money and put it in myself.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
TDIBUGMAN said:
Leatherette is far superior to leather, IMO. More durable, no real care issues.
Its still referrred to as "taxi-leather" in Europe, and is available in most models over there - BMW, Mercedes, etc.
In Mercedes circles, basically if you have 5+ year old material that isn't creased or worn though its MB-Tex. Wears like iron- have seen stuff pulled out of open junkyard cars brought back to like new w/o much sweat. Keeping the car and/or cheap? Try the leatherette.

If I bought a new one, that's what I'd get. Too bad my 2001 1.8 has doused any desire for a new one.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have had a number of cars with leather and I searched out my Passat with leatherette, in my opinion it wears just as well, but is a lot easier to maintain. :thumbup:

·
Registered
140 Posts
dragan said:
Where do I get these leatherette seat covers? Any good company in the States that manufacture and resell leatherette for the B5? And how much does it cost?
After 5 years of kids and dogs in my back seat, I would also like to get leatherette to recover my seats.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.