Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a month old 04 GLX sedan and the wrinkles on the leather seats are slowly getting to me. I understand that leather is a natural material and is not perfectly uniform and does have a "unique" appearance in every car. My front seats are virtually wrinkle free and look great. By backseat, however is loaded with wrinkles both on the seat and the seat back. Where the 2 halves of the fold down backrest come together, the smaller backrest section has a considerable amount of wrinkles and what looks like just loose material.
It does add some character to the car but is this normal or just poor quality control?

Even the vinyl was some QC issues...the vinyl portions on the sides of the seats appear to have something bunched up under them and there are slight lumps under the material. Not terribly visible but poor quality nonetheless.

Does anyone have anything similar to this?

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
sounds normal to me, most cars have unperfect leather, thats caus its a less controlabel material. :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Bunching/gathering/wrinkling is a way of life with leather. Some manufacturers do it better than others. You should have seen the garbage bag thin skins on my old Integra.

Wait till you see the shine that builds up on the driver's seat relative to the others, due to constant "polishing" from your a$$. ;)

Use good cleaners/protectors/conditioners as mentioned in earlier threads to keep them from drying out and cracking. It'll also keep the appearance a bit more uniform.

Now if anyone could tell me how to stop the leather back seat from making noise over bumps... (I've adjusted the hell out of it trying to stop it).

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Just keep it conditioned and clean :)

Kevin

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think the bumps you are seein on the side of the seat are your airbags and related hardwar, run your hand over it and you can feel a bunch of stuff in there.
As far as quality goes, The seats on my VW are some of the best I have seen. Most of the automotive press agrees...Passats are often praised for thier exelent material and build quality (particularly the leather and stitching).

conditioner makes a HUGE difference in the feel and appearance of your seats
USE IT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
JB
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing