Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Passat GLX with black leather interior. I understand the leather is durable and fashionable but in the summer it gets hot sitting/driving in those seats, even with the air on. The back of my shirts are often damp from perspiration. My question is, is there some cloth or other material that I can lay over the drivers seat and possibly the passenger seat that can breath, be absorbent, and look decent at the same time. I can't be the only one with a leather interior that has experienced this issue.

I appreciate any input you may have.

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,142 Posts
I've felt your pain - literally. My MGB had black leather; park it outside in the summer wit the top down, and you have scars on the backs of your thighs. Unfortunately, almost anything you do is going to be pretty unattractive. You can simply throw a towel over the seat; a little Googleing would come up with a variety of fitted seat covers. I had a set in white terrycloth that worked pretty well. Tinting the windows is often recommended, but it won't help as much as you'd think - and you'll have to put up with tinted windows.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think you need grey cloth seats... I happen to own a set of gray cloth seats and would be happy to drive to your location and swap you. FREE OF CHARGE...

Also I would look into the fitted cloth covers, usually 400 a set. You could get really silly and look into newer/different vehicles that have the vented seat back and rig that up.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
my passat has 5% tint in the rear and 20% up front. it still gets a little hot but nowhere near as when i first got the car and it didnt have tint.
the tint helps ALOT. and as mentioned above get a sun shade for the front. try to park under a tree if possible? thats about all you can do.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
A sunshade will work for quick and short stops, and a whole car cover works exceptionally well, and for all the seats. It takes 2 minutes to install, it reflects 98% of Uv rays and if you will be parked for many hours in the sun, on your return trip you wont have to wait forever for the cabin to cool down.

If you have to park for hours in the sun on a regular basis get a cover. Nothing will deteriorate a car's interior as fast as long term regular exposure to sunlight.

Side note: FWIW, Audi in fuure models will offer leather seats that are specially treated to not burn when exposed to sunlight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts