Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend, who everyone foolishly believes is an automobile guru, is trying to convince me that my car (03 1.8t sedan) has synthetic leather as opposed to real... We didn't buy the leather package for synthetic leather and I'm almost 100% sure that I have real leather. What the heck could I do to prove him otherwise and convince myself :p. It looks, and feels like leather, but he's convinced it's not. What the heck, it's real right?!

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Show him the window sticker? Call him a dumb @ss and tell him to mind his own effing business? I dunno...I'm outta options. :)

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
haha @ Altair. my thoughts exactly.

go to the vw website (vw.com) and "build your own car" to look just like your Passat, then show him what the leather is called on the website. that will probably shut him up completely, or at least produce an absence of speech while he backpedals and thinks of ways to tell you what "he really meant" ;).

...and make sure not to bring it up until you're arond all of your friends that thinks he knowswhat he's talking about.

-Harry

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Tell him to mind his business, call him a putz and find new friends....or ask him to prove its not real leather - he's the one with the issue so the burden of proof is on him.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am going to play "Devil's Advocate" on this one...but still having a :) on.

Perhaps what your friend was refering to is that the leather in today's cars is chemically treated, tanned, processed, dyed, and God knows whatever else...in order to make it usable in the car. Perhaps that is what he meant by "Synthetic Leather"...if so, he would be right.

If that is not the case, ask him to define what he thinks "Synthetic Leather" is and how it is produced.

I have also heard that not all areas of the interior are leather. IIRC, the part of the seats that touch you when driving ARE leather, but not the outsides. (ie.the part of the front seats that get kicked by rear passengers are vinyl)
The stearing wheel is leather, and the e-brake handle. The door inserts are vinyl. I am happy to be corrected by more knowledgable members.

:wink:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Altair 4 said:
Show him the window sticker? Call him a dumb @ss and tell him to mind his own effing business? I dunno...I'm outta options. :)
I can't stop laughing :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
julianfang said:
tell him to put his face nice and close to your leather to investigate it. Then smack the back of his head into your interior....let him FEEL the leather.
Yes....I could see where that would work, too.

Perhaps what your friend was refering to is that the leather in today's cars is chemically treated, tanned, processed, dyed, and God knows whatever else...in order to make it usable in the car. Perhaps that is what he meant by "Synthetic Leather"...if so, he would be right.
Oh, man, that's like the whole synth oil argument...you know, "is Castrol Syntec really synthetic?" The seat faces are leather.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If he's an "expert", than he can't be convinced by any data that he's incorrect. So, simply smile and say "if you say so", and walk away enjoying how he's made an ass out of himself without even realizing it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Have him look at the inside of the map pockets on the back of the front seats. They are made of leather (at least the ones on my 2K are) and he will be able to see the unfinished side of the leather (rough side). If that doesn't do it - find a new friend! :lol:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Tell him VW has a synthetic cow farm in Germany. They're cheaper and more dependable than real cows, and we feel better as a VW community knowing no real cows were injured in the production of our vehicles.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
MattinPismo said:
Tell him VW has a synthetic cow farm in Germany. They're cheaper and more dependable than real cows, and we feel better as a VW community knowing no real cows were injured in the production of our vehicles.
"during process of producing this leather interior no cow was harmed in any way" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :cry: :bow:

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
i think that pleather was offered on the a4 but i've never known the passat to have this...not sure. as for the friend, bah, let him be wrong and know you're right.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
he's just jealous :wink:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
leatherette is on BMWs and Audis :lol: , and IIRC it's now available on the 2004 passat instead of velour.

The GLX is rumored to use/have used more real leather in the leather interior vs. the 1.8T.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Being a seat designer, I know that most if not all seats in new cars have leather on the "seating" surfaces. Basicly if you arse or back don't touch it, it aint leather.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts