Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a embarrassing question, but in order to acheive the fastest acceleration on a stock V6 2.8 auto, how do I use my Tip??

Would using the Tip be faster then keeping it in drive?
What is the ideal RPMs to shift gears??

Is ideal shifting gears done right before red-lining? Is that how car makers test their 1/4 mile lap time??

Does keeping high RPMs mean working the engine harder? Does that wear out parts faster??

I just got my TB done with 12month/12k mile warrantee. I want to drive the car harder but not break something else along the way.

G

·
Shifting by tip should give better results, the computers only going to allow you to go but so far into the gear, get the tip chip it will put a smile on your face.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The Tiptronic doesn't shift any faster than leaving it in drive. However, it does prevent an early upshift. And if you want to keep it in gear longer, that's what the Tip is good for.

Higher rpm does work the engine harder and does wear parts out more quickly. As long as the engine has warmed up, though, it shouldn't do any real harm. What would be worse would be to drive your car hard after only just being started. Wait until the engine temperature reaches the middle before "punching" it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If theres is no difference why leave it in gear?
I'm not sure where you are going with the question.

Overall, Tip gives more control, putting into Drive takes less attention. But I think you are asking about how quickly the shift takes place, correct?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My question really is;
If it takes 10 sec to go from 0-60 while in DRIVE,
would using the Tip shorten that time?
If so, at what RPM is ideal to shift?
If shifting were to be done right before red-lining, does that create additional wear and tear?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Just leave it in D and floor it for the best times.
For straight line acceleration, I concur. Now if you were in a situation where you couldn't floor it (say turning into traffic going up and over a slight incline), the transmission has this bad habit of shifting to higher gears before you want it to. So using the Tip will allow you to stay in 1st and at a higher rpm, thereby giving maximum acceleration.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,503 Posts
If theres is no difference why leave it in gear?
I use tip mode in city driving, for engine braking and to prevent useless upshifts, as when approaching a red light. I find it much easier to honor a 25mph/40kph speed limit in 3 than in D. I also find it useful when merging onto a freeway, to delay upshifts and to avoid the need for subsequent kickdowns.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
In straight line pedal to the metal launch, I don't believe Tip gives you any real benefit. The benefit to Tip comes from corner carving and exiting corners with more RPMs built up. I also use Tip to do some engine braking when I coast to a stop.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
for a good feul efficiency (same car, 2002 v6 but mine's a GLX) i shift up at 2.5k revs (shown as 25 on the meter)

as for the downshift, i just let that do it itself, or drop it back into automatic for a much smoother downshift.

if you let the tip auto-down, the shift will be noticeable

1 - 11 of 11 Posts