Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not many responded to my original post http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51748&highlight=. It was thought to be a head gasket. Went to the shop the dealer recommended and he ran it for an emissions just to see if it would pass. It did not. He doesn't think the smoke is white, but a blue.. and that it is sweeter smelling then antifreeze. This guy told me it is not a head gasket but a leak in the turbo. Luckily my warranty will get me a new turbo; if it even needs one.

Advice? A leak in the turbo????

I am going to take it to an import guy who seems well versed in VWs and the 1.8T and shooze him to make a claim that the head gasket and turbo completely need replaced.

I love my wagon. and just want it back up to 100% health.

Peace. Stephen.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ah ha, so the third opinion mechanic gave me a third diagnosis. He feels becuase the smoke comes out after ideling for a while that it is a clogged ejector. (ejector/injector? :crazy: )

He told me nothing to worry about, nothing with the turbo or head gasket. Put in some Blaster FI Treatment and will call him on Monday.

Peace.

Stephen.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Not familiar w/ the smoke color, but a leak "in the turbo" (more like at the turbo) might be possible. There are coolant and oil lines attached to the turbo and I have experienced a coolant leak there. It was very minor in that you could not see any loss in the coolant reservoir so I imagine nobody could see any smoke when I drove. Not familiar w/ the clogged injector either. I use a bottle of techron every 5k miles since we don't have chevron dealers here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.