Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you do a "poor girl's" leakdown test by hooking up your compression gauge, turning the engine from BDC to TDC, and letting it sit for a while? I know with the regular leakdown tester you can test at various positions on the cylinder wall.

Any comments? I can sneak one tester into the house right now.

It occured to me that prior to pulling the head, I should do some more detailed diagnostics on the ring/valve guide situation on the Rabbit.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Though I have never been disapointed that I tore appart and rebuilt the cylinder head on any of the cars that I've done it to. Especially the older it is. Carbon build up is a nasty thing. And if you get a chance to completely clean the valve curtain area free from those deposits the car will always run stronger. As well as cleaning up any compression issues due to leaky valve seats.

But Sharky is correct, do both a dry compression test and a wet one. Lot's of things will be shown out.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dry? As in let it drain for a few weeks? Or just wash it down with gasoline or something? I am taking this to mean the rings are not sealed up with oil to the cylinder wall.

Chas - I will be in there cleaning up quite a bit, I imagine. Based on the amount of crap stuck to the block, I think it has the original head gasket.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
No, dry as in doing a plain old compression test.

Wet as in a couple of tablespoons of engine oil in each cylinder.

Dry isn't actually dry, but wet is much wetter.

Clear as mud!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts