Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if you all remember, but I am having a massive issue with my 1999 Passat (n-dbw) with it being in limp mode. It's giving a fault code of "Throttle Control Valve: Malfunction"

Now, it all started when the battery died. The car will barely hold an idle, won't go but about 2-3k rpm and will barely go over 20 MPH.

I got vag-com, and attempted to do a TBA. With no success because it keeps telling me in group 060 everything is N/A. I tried the whole, open hood and door and turn key to ignition on/engine off to see if it would do the TBA, but of course no success cause it's a non-dbw.

I went as far as REPLACING the throttle body with absolutely NO success! Still the SAME issue!

I even pulled the ECU out for awhile and put it back in.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions? I'm out of ideas! Could it be a hose issue? Something more major? I mean, i'm out right going nuts :(

Anything helps, please.

Thanks,

-Jason

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a cable-controlled throttle though. It's a 99 (plus I clearly had to remove it and put it back on that POS). The thing is, like I said, I cannot get it to do a TBA ...

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
If you replaced the throttle body, then that is almost certainly not your problem. The only thing left is the wiring harness from the throttle body to the ECU. Check it carefully for pinches or crimps. Do you have a Bentley? If so, pin out the harness between the TB and the ECU.

Have you tried clearing codes on your ECU? If your battery died, then the ECU almost certainly got a low voltage condition. Low voltage is worse than no voltage for digital electronics, and can mightily confuse them. Maybe if you clear codes it will wake the ECU back up. Maybe your ECU is fried - I hope not, but that is a possibility.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ECU? Isn't that under the 'Engine' Module? I cleared everything in that module. I guess it might be possible the ECU is bad, but wouldnt I be getting a lot more than just "Throttle Control Valve: Malfunction" errors?

It's not a bentley, its a 1999 passat GLX v6.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts