Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the PCV system on my 02 is clogged up. Symptoms are the unending leaking of oil and the occasional message from VAG-COM about a brake booster failure (which is the lack of vacuum the booster is seeing).

I've been looking for a good write up, there is a ton out there on the AHA/early ATQ system, but I can't find much of anything (Audi or Passat) on the later ATQ ("upgraded") system.

The main breather pipe was replaced last year, so the blockage is somewhere in the rest of the PCV system. ECS sells a "complete" kit that costs $400+. I just need some of the parts though, not the main breather pipe, nor all the hose clamps.

Anyone have a link to anything or done this job?

Link to the B5 (AHA / early ATQ) PCV
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/6...-pcv-system-replacement-now-suction-pump.html

Thanks!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone? b-bumpity....

·
Registered
35 Posts
inspect first to see what you need

I just did my 03 2.8. Before ordering parts I would recommend checking the PCV system to make sure it is clogged. I have the oil leak on the passenger side head that appeared to be coming from the valve cover gasket. After reading all the recommendations I decided to overhaul the PCV system and change the valve cover gasket. I ordered the updated PCV valve, suction pump, check valve and updated oil filler cap. After getting everything apart I discovered I do not have the suction pump (or that I could find). Considering my car has 80000 the PCV system was in good shape and wasn’t clogged at all. I ended up returning the suction pump and check valve but did replace the pcv as I accidentally broke the hard plastic hose during removal ( I even dissected the PCV valve and found the rubber diaphragm to be in great shape). I would recommend taking the PCV system apart and inspecting before ordering any parts. Just be careful as the platic can become brittle over time. I replaced the valve cover gasket and the smell isn’t as bad but I still smell from time to time. It’s only been about 100 miles since I did the job so hopefully I am still burning off the oil that was previously leaked. If this fixes the car I will probably drive to 100k and replace the timing belt and hopefully drive another 30k. If I continue to get a leak I can only assume that it is the timing chain gasket tensioner and I will be selling the car. I can’t justify tearing the car apart to change a $5 part. I know this can be done during the timing belt replacement but it seems like a design flaw. I just cant see tearing the car apart every six months to fix an oil leak. I can’t even believe I am having this problem. Its troubling that vw couldn’t engineer a car that can’t go 100k without an oil leak or PCV problems. This is my second VW and it hurts me to say it will probably be my last. I love VW interiors, the handling and overall feel of the car but not at the expense of getting smoked out of the car every time I drive it. I drove a 04 GTI 100k that didn’t give me any problems except the pesky coil packs (a 10 min fix). All I did was change the oil, tires, and air filter and the car gave me 6 years of dependable fun service. I have had the passat six months and I have already spent several weekends keeping this thing on the road – what a joke. Even GM can make a car that can make it to a 100k without these kind of problems. Anyways hope this helps and thanks for letting me vent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts