Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I bought a 2002 about three weeks ago. Been wanting one for some time and finally went for it knowing the potential issues. And there are, torque converter being the big one. Got the Bentley manual and I'm working it all out in my mind before turning a wrench.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I'm not an auto trans aficionado, but what's ailing you?
I'll see what I can help out with.
In case you don't know, the w8forum.dk forum is also a great resource.
Just remember, not many people have W8's, so response time(s) might lag a bit.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
By any chance do you have VCDS?
Scan and post codes if you can.
Exactly what issues do you have with the car?

·
Registered
26,005 Posts
The trans is the same type used in the V6 4Mo. It's about 300lbs, so keep that in mind. With a trans jack, it can be removed on a garage floor with high enough jack stands. A manual swap really brings the car to life :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Description of the trans problem is the P0741 error code. I've been searching the net for similar symptoms. It shifts fine up and down. When the fault happens in VCDS It won't hold the engine RPMs off throttle. This is dependent on temperature. The cooler it is the longer it maintains RPM and cuts the fuel. Once it gets up to temperature it drops to idle off throttle when cruising at speed. So getting back on throttle causes a big ramp up to where the engine should have been. The detail for this VAG error code 17125/001857 lists about 8 possible causes.
I've already got new coolant fans on the way, so I'll just work around the easier maintenance and leave this one to the local independent VW shop. I'm still open to ideas or the how to use VCDS to nail down the problem. I'm still new to that software as well.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
The most common causes of this code are:
1) Low trans oil / insufficient amount of oil
2) SEE EDIT
3) Faulty solenoid circuit
4) Faulty solenoid
5) Faulty wiring

Most posts I have read, installing a new torque convertor solves this problem in most cases. Followed by low trans oil and then finally faulty wiring or solenoids.
Those are the most common causes/remedies I have read about.

EDIT
Number 2 was found on another forum where someone had the same code on his W8 and made reference to a particular transmission. Unfortunately I don't know which trans, can't seem to find the thread anymore.

2) Torque converter not locking up. Too high of RPM's. Cruising at 70 should be at 2k RPM.

·
Registered
26,005 Posts
Pretty sure I had the same code on my 4Mo and ended up swapping the TC for a new one. Solved the problem and I later installed that TC in my son's car. I just gave away the TC from my son's car to Jale as his failed with the same code.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Andreas and PZ. I'm doing A/B comparison in VCDS with my same year V6. 4Motion and loging both. What I've noticed so far is the TC will occasionally open under acceleration but mostly won't hold in off throttle at highway speeds.
The new development is the off throttle problem has improved after I unconnected and reconnected some wiring behind the panel beneath the hood release lever.

·
Registered
26,005 Posts
Are you testing the TC on the highway in Tip mode? That should keep it locked and if it slips, it should either register as unlocked, locked or ??? (I can't remember what it showed). If it shows locked and it slips, the TC would need to be replaced.

I had mixed results with mine, it started initially at high speeds (105-110) with hard driving in Tip mode, when the rpms climbed under throttle. Over the course of a year (maybe 3-5K), it got worse where it would unlock as soon as the car was warmed up. I had to look it up, but it started in 2008 and I finally replaced it in June of 2009. I started the manual swap in late 2014 and then put the "newer" TC into my son's wagon. I put 45K on the TC and my son has put (probably) another 80K on it without issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
3 Participants
PZ
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing