Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my owners manual for my 99 Passat it states " Remove leaves occasionaly from the plenum panel in front of the windshield under the engine hood. This prevents the water drain holes from becoming blocked, and it prevents debris from entering the vehicle interior through the heating and ventilation ducts". Newer Passats have a black plastic cover over this entire area. They dont have to clean leaves or worry about their CCM getting soaked. Has anyone installed one of those covers on a older Passat? If you have, what was the part number and year of your Passat?

Tom

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
madigan has also done one on his 99 wagon.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have one installed on my '99 1.8T It fit with only minor trimming to the left side. I will have to look at the invoice to get the part #'s I can do that when I get home. I found the part numbers when I did a search for passat. It was someone with a colorado red variant with bbs rims. If you find that site then it is under the heading "2001 modifications".

·
Registered
58 Posts
I also did this mod. The TIP suggested to replace the plastic also that is near the front window, but I did not buy that - maybe the mod is easier with that plastic part also bought, because the damn thing needed quite a bit of trimming to fit in place (pics of the installation under my profile - Europe category)

plastic you want - 3B1819415E B41
plastic for the battery hole in the above - 3B1819422A 01C
plastic I also bought for the engine left side - 3B0119487C

plastic near the front window that was also suggested - 3B1819415E B41

These are the parts I used then (minus the last one), the cover for the engine left side needs to be modded too to fit, at least on my 2000 dbw 1.8T with tip and climatronic

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
xjanPST,

I looked at the pictures under your profile and it looks great. I dont like cleaning the leaves out and after I do this mod, I will not have to clean anymore.

thanks
Tom

·
Registered
283 Posts
xjanPST said:
plastic you want - 3B1819415E B41
plastic for the battery hole in the above - 3B1819422A 01C
plastic I also bought for the engine left side - 3B0119487C

plastic near the front window that was also suggested - 3B1819415E B41
uh, I think you mistyped one of those, because the first number and the last is the same. What's the number for the cover that comes on the B5.5s but not on the B5's :???:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered the parts this week, got the part numbers from MADIGAN.

3B1-819-415-E-B41 (water deflector)
3B1-819-447-B41 (plenum cover w/round brake fluid reservior)
3B1-819-442-A-01C (battery cover)

I ordered the parts from 1stvwparts.com for $35.04 plus shipping.

Tom

·
Registered
283 Posts
ms12339 said:
I ordered the parts this week, got the part numbers from MADIGAN.

3B1-819-415-E-B41 (water deflector)
3B1-819-447-B41 (plenum cover w/round brake fluid reservior)
3B1-819-442-A-01C (battery cover)

I ordered the parts from 1stvwparts.com for $35.04 plus shipping.

Tom
plenum cover is the large plastic cover that hides the battery, ecu, pollen filter etc in the partition behind the firewall?

·
Registered
631 Posts
AidanLee said:
plenum cover is the large plastic cover that hides the battery, ecu, pollen filter etc in the partition behind the firewall?
Yes. That area is considered the "plenum area" according the the Bently manual...though, when I ordered the parts from my local VW dealer and used that terminology, the sales person hadn't a clue what I was refering to...go figure!

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have done the swap with the new windshield deflector, and the swap was pretty straight forward. The hardest part was removing the wiper arms, but a trip to AutoZone and I borrowed thier 2/3 arm convertable puller and that solved that problem. I also had to slightly enlarge the round hole for the brake reservoir, as mine was rubbing on the back.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Atrovent said:
Sorry to hijack the thread...but...if you have a b5.5 how do you remove the "plenum area?" I tend to break things when I start prying on stuff so thought I'd ask first.... :roll:
It is not held on by any bolts it just has lips that tuck into various places :p anyway, the first thing to do is slide back the rubber seal that extends all the way across the engine bay at the front edge of the plenum. This seal holds the plenum lip to a lip on the firewall. From there you just have to shimmy it out and then reverse for the reinstall.

Carl III

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
great!! another thing i have to do. :p you people are going to break me!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.