Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a new laptop.(School doesn't want us to take their's home) I do not need it for gaming, as I will be mostly using it for work. ( I have a great home setup for everything else.) I teach and I mostly use it accessing the internet and for running MS Office programs (in conjunction with an projector), so I need something that would handle those with good speed. I also need it to have a CD Burner and a DVD player. Anyone have any recommendations on websites that may have great deals on laptops that meet my specificaitons? I would like to keep the price under $700. If you have any specific models that you thing would help that would be great too. I'm still waiting to see if I can use the schools education discounts to help me out with the cost.

TIA:thumbup:

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
so you have an adequate PC for school, and home?
but you need something to take between the too, as far as file transferring, etc? perhaps instead of a whole machine an external hard drive and/or dvd burner would do what you need.
i picked up an external hard drive enclosure that uses USB2 and/or Serial ATA (by and/or, i mean that internally, the 3.5" drive is SATA but you can interface your PC via either USB or external SATA). the enclosure was $55 and drive was $110 for 250 gb seagate.
i guess i don't understand why you'd want to introduce a third machine into the mix. its hard enough managing a home and work machine, personally. seems best to explore ways to share files and such (especially since you only get to deduct $400 a year for expenses;)).
you could get a nice plextor DVD burner for around $100 that is external that you should be able to use on either home or work machine and lock up when not in use. again, keeping you well under your money mark.

as for recommendations, there's a bazillion budget machines out there by every vendor. it really boils down to your brand and function preferences.

HPpaq have ok machines. my wife has a nice toshiba for the last few years and it's been a solid machine. i have an older dell that was ok, i don't have experience with newer ones aside from what i see our management getting at work. at least 50% of them have dell 600M. look to be nice machines, probably outdated, as happens with computers.

i've never run a projector with a PC, what is required of it aside from the physical connection? seperate video memory, etc? perhaps info or a link to a projector like you use could help us with this part.

edit: www.newegg.com is where i bought my enclosure and drive as described above. others on passatworld have recommended www.zipzoomfly.com as well

1 - 5 of 5 Posts