Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently heard some rumours that the EVO RS is coming to the US in limited numbers. Can anyone verfiy this? Not sure if it's BS. I didn't find anything on the Mitsu website on this. For those that don't know the EVO RS is basically a very stripped down EVO w/out AC, power everything, alloy wheels, etc. It's a few hundred lbs lighter and a few grand cheaper (prob cheaper than a reg WRX). The RS has always been sold in Japan along w/ the regular GSR model.

Would be really cool if we got the RS here in the US. I'd seriously consider it.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I want one in Blue Bayou.

Yes, I am waiting to see it - of course it will be exactly the same as the EVO VIII but lighter w/o the A/C, power windows, locks, wings, etc. And the best part it is cheaper about $26,500 MSRP.

For me the best part is no WING and the addition of the helical LSD which is a JDM standard. Still wish the DCCLD is available.

See link: http://www.automobilemag.com/news/03sema_evors/
Mitsubishi unveiled its Evolution RS, a hardcore version of the Evolution, that does without some creature comforts in the pursuit of lighter weight and a lower price. The Evolution RS weighs 146 pounds less than the standard Evo, but is powered by the same, 271-hp turbocharged engine.

The Evo RS achieves its weight savings by tossing out the air conditioning, stereo, rear wing, rear wiper, HID headlamps, and ABS brakes. Also gone are the power windows/locks/mirrors, map lights, vanity mirrors, assist straps, and trunk compartment trim. If that's all too Spartan, an option package includes air conditioning, the power accessories, and keyless entry.

Besides its lower cost and content, the RS adds a brace in the trunk for added structural rigidity and a helical limited slip differential for the front axle (both of which are exclusive to the RS). The hardcore Evo goes on sale in late January for about $26,500, versus $28,987 for the regular Evolution.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
seems pretty cool! Yeah, it kinda sucks that they're just bringing in 700 to NA. It's prob going to be snatched up quickly with the track guys. I imagine there's already going to be a considerable markup. The irony is that the GSR's may end up costing a lot less. Maybe Mitsu will throw more RS's to the US market if it sells well. Anyhow, only time will tell if the RS is worth it.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Interesting for sure, but with such limited numbers the price differences out the door will probably be moot (you'll be sacraficing those features for the performance, not the money). Front LSD could be good or bad. The STI's front LSD is a source of much confusion when it comes to driving the thing. I can handle a lot of harshness but losing all those features just to cut 5% off its' weight? Naw...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The dealer mark-up will be a big deciding factor for many and for me as well. I was at my friendly VW-Subaru dealer and they are now dealing with the STi. One of the junior sales person told me I can get it for sticker MSRP and I know I can talk to the boss and get it below MSRP.

Just think 6 months ago, people were paying 5-6K mark-up for this thing. Whoever deals get my business but right now leaning towards the three diamond instead of the 6-star "Mutsuraboshi" Subaru STi. The $3-4K difference between the 2 can pretty much account for mods to tame or put more flame to this beasts.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea, for me the pricing was really the biggest factor. Most likely there will be an outrageous markup, but if there's not, then $3k less is not bad at all.

I was really hoping for some 300lbs weight reduction, but I guess it's better than nothing. It is kinda odd that they decided to go with a semi-half assed weight reduction thing. I mean, if you're hard-core enough to be willing to throw out the A/C and power amenities, and what not, then why wouldn't you go all the way and chuck out the door panels, back seats, carpet, sound deadening, etc? Might as well remove another 100lbs or so.

The 'luxury' option on the RS is a baffling contradition. If you wanted a stripped down car, why would you opt for a an option to put back the amenties you sought to avoid in the first place? Just get a GSR instead. I think they should have been more thoughtful and included options like fibreglass/carbon race seats, factory welded cage, AYC, higher final drive, etc. Typically desired parts for the racer who would pick such a car in the first place.

The front LSD thing was debated in the the link to the thread in the evo forumn. Apparently they think that there is already a disproportionately high amount of traction in the EVO's front wheels, versus the rear. I suppose this may not be such a good thing. I'm guessing it would cause more undesteer in cornering, but otherwise I'm not sure how it could be a bad thing. I'm also guessing that if you could throw in a Quaife for the rear, perhaps the car would work to be a lot more balanced.

I'm still really interested how the RS will turn out though. I can't wait for the car mag reviews on it. Would be fun if they did a comparo on track times with the RS and the GSR.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Macabre said:
Interesting for sure, but with such limited numbers the price differences out the door will probably be moot (you'll be sacraficing those features for the performance, not the money). Front LSD could be good or bad. The STI's front LSD is a source of much confusion when it comes to driving the thing. I can handle a lot of harshness but losing all those features just to cut 5% off its' weight? Naw...
He lives! :shock:

(Sorry for the thread hijack...back to your regularly scheduled programming... :) )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts