Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at V1's for a while now because I thought they would be the least harsh of the coilovers. But I did know the V2's had adjustable stiffness. This seems good, if I go to do an autocross, I'll stiffen 'em up, but for daily driving I'll soften them.

So, as far as adjustability goes, is it possible to make the suspension 5% stiff? Would this be a relatively comfortable ride? Would it damage the coilovers in any way?

Also, with V2's, would height adjustability remain? I want that for winter drving...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The height adjustment is the same for V2s, V3s, and V1s. You can set them anywhere from 5 to 95% stiffness. Koni does not recommend either 0 or 100% stiffness settings though. My V2s are set at 45% front and 65% rear. I am probably going to change that to 50% front and 55% rear though because the back end is overdamped right now.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
I'm not sure but my FK adjustables require me to remove the entire assembly to change the shock setting. That is how the Koni's work. Doesn't KW use Konis as well?

Something to think about. Most set then forget.

Scott

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
DZinger, you hit the nail on the head. If you have the means and the mechanic to remove the coilovers and reset stiffness/rebound settings often, then go right ahead. I'm running Variant3's and it took me 2 installs to set stiffness and rebound rate to my liking.

Well, I don't know your driving experience I<3myW8 but you might want to consult with a driving instructor before using varied coilover stiffness at Auto-X events. What is the reason you are changing them per events? You might want to look at obtaining better caster/camber settings if you plan on Auto-Xing a heavy sedan like the W8. CPP Upper Control Arms and a visit to a good alignment shop with a Hunter Rack will help you on more than removing and changing coilover settings, once you have found a sweet spot. Also you might want to invest in a set of new wheels and tires because an aggressive track or auto-x setting will increase wear dramatically!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
It definately is not easy to adjust the shock settings on the Konis. I installed mine about six months ago and haven't adjusted them yet. I've really only put 2000 miles on the car since then.

As Scott and Swami said, you probably won't be adjusting them much anyway unless you like taking apart the suspension. I think Winston (coloradob5) has his set at 5% all around and it isn't like riding in a Cadillac by any means.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, yes, I know about all the technical stuff. I was just saying, with all the versatality of the V2's, I could easily set them up for a track event, stiffness wise. I don't think think the V2's have rebound adjustment. I think...

It's not like I'd do it F1-style, having a mechanic-in-a-trailer to adjust every suspension bit for every single track, but I'd have a stiffer ride than usual.

And then for daily drving, I could set them up for a more comfortable, supple ride.

Does CPP produce both Upper and Lower control arms? Where can I contact them?

I have lined up a few driving and racing courses at BeaveRun MotorSports Complex (BeaveRun.com), but otherwise I have little 'performance' driving skill. Certainly, nearly 30 years of driving experience helps, but not for an aggressive environment. And at Auto-X'ing, aren't you alone on the track? I sure hope so.

Thanks. My amount of car know-how is really showing through here... :oops:

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
www.customperf.com for all of your CPP needs. They do have the upper and lower arms but as Will (the Swami) has talked about in the past, it may be too harsh to have both spherical bearings on both upper and lower. I know my ride is just fine right now with just the CPP Uppers.

Steve

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you have the W8 control arms, which supplier did you order from? AWE Tuning is close to me, but they only list the FWD control arms. I assume the W8 control arms differ from the FWD ones?

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
If you only want the front control arms, then you are fine.

I dont have a W8, I have a '98 1.8T 5spd, FWD. AFAIK, there are no rear control arms available for the 4motion setup. www.newdimensions.com has the control arms available. But if you live in the north, it would be best to use the stainless steel ends, at the cost of $695.

Steve

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I only want the front upper control arms. I guess the lower would make it way too harsh, as the Swami said.

Thanks.

EDIT: Wait. I'm having a really tough time navigating these sites. Would someone give me a direct link to the W8 CPP UPPER CONTROL ARMS. Thank you so much... :oops: :bow:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Bro, you know I gotcha back! You don't have to get the Custom Performance Products Control Arms, but they do address quite a few issues when you lower your W8. The other benefit is configuring your caster/camber for track or AutoX events. You get excellent feedback and can setup alignments for much faster lateral response. This is something you just can't do with stiffness adjustments because all you are changing is the ride feel. Remember you have to completely remove these units when making adjustments, so once you find a sweet spot keep it! Hopefully CPP will develop upgraded rear toe link and sways for the 4 Motions!!

The Control Arms are the same across the product line for our Passats. Make sure you buy the stainless steel one's if you live in an area that uses salts and other chemicals during the winter. Also keep some Ethyl Alcohol and Dry-Graphite around to clean and relube these items every few months.

Give Mike at AWE a call because he's able to get these items for us at great prices. If you are up in Philly, I can let you go for a spin to get a feel of the KW's with CPP Control Arms. If you have any more questions, please ask because this is an awesome upgrade.

Peace,

Will aka The Swami

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.