Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I am getting new 18x8 wheels too and am thinking of getting these too. I borrowed a friends 17's with some of these tires and I was impressed.

Kevin

·
Registered
62 Posts
225/45 17's

Mine got very noisy, :shock: need to rotate at every oil change (3000 Miles). I'm surprised that Alan did not smack me because I told him how good they are. He got them on my recommendation. Few thousand miles later, POW noisy little suckers. I think I will go with the Kumho MX next time, or maybe a non-directional tire so that once a year I can have them turned around on the wheels to get better tire life. I have the Eibach springs, and the tires are wearing bad on the inside of all 4's.

My $.02 worth

David

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
I've run two set's 17's and now 18's... like them. Good wet, great dry, and very progressive at the limit.

The 225/45-17's were a little quieter than the 18's. I'll chalk that up to the shorter side wall. Neither are 'too' noisy though.

I don't rotate... that WILL make them noisy. Once a tire cups into the corner it's on, that's where it stay's. When you rotate, the tread blocks have to wear into the new corner each time.

dk... if they are wearing that unevenly, you should get your alignment done. I'm running Eibach too, and my alighment settings are no where near stock (on purpose) and the Kumho's wear very evenly.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
i had them on my passat, and am now running them on my infiniti.

The performance seems to be good - although I have no frame of reference since these were the first performance tires i've experienced. Noise was an issue with the passat after the first rotation, the rear camber seems to be shot after doing a spring upgrade causing uneven wear. I'm getting ready to see what happens with the infiniti this spring when I put the summer set back on in their new rotated positions.

I would recommend the 712s, but I think next time I'm going to go with the Bridgestone Potenza RE750s because of higher performance and noise ratings... but that comes with a price, about $50 more per corner. A sacrifice I'm willing to make in the name of science. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good handling as per previous posts. I just rotated mine, and man, are the fronts (formely rears) ever noisy - just like Pass-variant noted. Hopefully the noise will subside with time as "the tread blocks have to wear into the new corner"?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts