Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have purchased a kufatec multifunction steering wheel harness to fit to my 2000 Passat 1.8 (came factory with no cruise/radio control):

https://www.kufatec.de/shop/de/nachrstungen/sonstige/kabelsatz-multifunktionslenkrad-vw-bora-passat-3b-3bg-golf-4

And I have tried to install it but I'm not entirely sure if what I have done is correct. Here it is step by step:

1. I have routed the four GRA wires (green, blue, violet, yellow) to the pins (7, 8, 9, 10) of the white connector at the ECU (the crimp ends supplied pre-fitted by Kufatec were two large so I had to replace them for male dupont type as in the connector).
  2. I have connected the radio control (blue/yellow in kufatecs instructions) to the pin 11 of the 20-pin connector on the back of the radio.
  3. I have connected the diagnostic (white in kufatecs instructions) wire to pin 3 of the 8-pin connector on the back of the radio.
  4. I have connected the wire (black/yellow in kufatecs instructions) to the empty slot at pin 1 of the slipring connector (T5b).
  5. I have spliced the wire (black in kufatecs instructions) to the wire which is currently connected at pin 3 of the slipring connector (T5b).
  6. I have spliced the wire (black in kufatecs instructions) to the wire which is currently connected to fuse #5 at the fuse box.
  7. I have connected the power and ground (red/green and brown in kufatecs instructions) to their respective points.
  8. I have spliced the wire (grey in kufatecs instructions) to pin 17 of the headlight power knob.
Now there is one more wire not mentioned in kufatecs instructions (a 13th wire) which is labelled black/white and I don't know where this goes. It runs with the other two wires which connect to T5b at the slipring, and I'm thinking maybe this connects to the connector for the cruise on/off at the stalk (T10s).

Please can I have some advice, my two main questions are:

• How do I wire T10s for the cruise on/off (considering the other cruise functions are controlled through the MFSW),
  • Should I have spliced the black kufatec wire to the wire at pin 3 of T5b? or replaced it with the black kufatec wire?
Thanks,
James

·
I wish I wasn't witless
2,256 Posts
I may be able to help, what options did the car have before attending this? Also, when you orders did they ask specifics of what year and options you had?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may be able to help, what options did the car have before attending this? Also, when you orders did they ask specifics of what year and options you had?

The car had no cruise control and no multifunction steering wheel before. When I ordered they just asked what radio I have, to which I told them its a VW Gamma. Any advice would be great, thanks :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I used the multimeter to check which wire from the relay goes to which pin on the white ECU connector when following the kufatec instructions. This is what I have worked out:

Relay 452 Pin 4 - ECU White Connector Pin 10
Relay 452 Pin 8 - ECU White Connector Pin 9
Relay 452 Pin 14 - ECU White Connector Pin 7
Relay 452 Pin 16 - ECU White Connector Pin 8

I'm not sure if this helps but I wanted a record to save me having to unplug the ECU, pull out the connectors and everything again should I have to modify anything.

·
I wish I wasn't witless
2,256 Posts
What are you primarily concerned with? Also, does your car have green or red dash lighting-this will help.

·
I wish I wasn't witless
2,256 Posts
The wiring as you describe is correct; and the extra wire is for the switch in the stalk. The engine is non-turbo correct? My diagrams only apply to 1.8T so the ECU is different and I cannot guarantee those connections.

The spare wire ties into pins 4&7 of the stalk switch, and into a pin on the ECU. There is another connection for that switch that runs from a 20A fuse 32 at pin 32A in the fuse panel, to pin 6 of the stalk switch.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wiring as you describe is correct; and the extra wire is for the switch in the stalk. The engine is non-turbo correct? My diagrams only apply to 1.8T so the ECU is different and I cannot guarantee those connections.

The spare wire ties into pins 4&7 of the stalk switch, and into a pin on the ECU. There is another connection for that switch that runs from a 20A fuse 32 at pin 32A in the fuse panel, to pin 6 of the stalk switch.

Yes it's the non-turbo 1.8. Well I have just tested which pin of the relay this wire goes to, and it is pin 18. According to the post at:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/b5-information-base/349457-diy-write-up-complete-guide-multi-function-steering-wheel-install.html

Pin 18 is the Data Bus Connection which should be connected to pin 1 of T5b. But the kufatec instructions say it is the black/yellow wire that should be connected to this pin...

Also according to the above post, pin 4 of the relay (T18c) is the connection to the cruise off, so i'm assuming for the stalk connection I just need to wire pin 4 of the relay (T18c) to pin 4 of the stalk connection (T10s). I don't think I need any other wires to the stalk as in that post he already has cruise control on the stalk before he starts so taps into the wires there instead of running them back to the ECU.

Lastly in that post he doesn't mention anything in that post about pins 6/7 of T10s (the stalk connector), are you sure I need these wires? As the stalk is only for cruise on/off.

Thanks,
James

·
I wish I wasn't witless
2,256 Posts
So you have the stalk already? The connection to the fuse panel is the cruise control power, so you cannot be without it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
@Passat2.8 You were correct, pin 6 on the stalk connector does need to go to fuse 32.

Just a quick update on the complete process, as my experience may help others which have bought this kufatec harness. The kufatec instructions are correct for the ECU, Radio, Relay. However the wires to the 5-pin slip ring are incorrectly listed, and the stalk connector isn't even mentioned, in the kufatec instructions. Kufatec support were absolutely useless and didn't know anything further than SWWS is Schwarz/Weiss (black/white) which I told them in my message! They couldn't tell me why the instructions talk about a harness with 12 wires but the one I received had 13.

I ended up getting this working, and I chose to have the cruise control stalk with set/+ cancel/- as well as the MFSW, so I can use the stalk or wheel to adjust the speed if I like.

If you get the kufatec harness, first determine which wires from the stalk/slipring connectors goto which pins of the relay, and write this information down. Then following the post at: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/b5-information-base/349457-diy-write-up-complete-guide-multi-function-steering-wheel-install.html connect the wires to the appropriate pins in the stalk/slip ring connectors (ignore the kufatec instructions for these connectors...). Next wire the four wires to the appropriate ECU plug, as discuss in the kufatec instructions, you may need to change the crimp connections to male dupont connectors. Finally, wire up the illumination, radio, power and ground as mentioned in the kufatec instructions. Also ensure pin 6 of the stalk connector goes to fuse 32 at pin 32A.

I should also mention that it is likely you will need the green mini-ISO connector block, into which you insert the wire to the radio from the steering controls. My car didn't have the connector, it seems to be dependant on which optional extras the car came with (phone, CD changer etc.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also ensure pin 6 of the stalk connector goes to fuse 32 at pin 32A.
thanks for posting results of this, been doing my head in the exact same issue..

does anyone know what 'at pin 32A' means?
i found fuse slot 32 and will need to wire in new pins, but before i do that i need to know what the pin 32A is in case ive misunderstood

thanks a bunch

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Looking at the Bentley schematics, e.g. 69/7 & 8, 32a is the load side of the fuse, black/blue wire,
verses 32 is the line (input) side of the fuse, black wire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
thanks for the reply. i just checked and you are right the numbers are suffixed with the letter A on one side of the slot

also, i dont have any pins in slot 32 so ill have to wire them in before i can connect t10s pin 6 to it.

do you know if should wire the supply side to 75x or live 30 before fusing with 20amps?

·
I wish I wasn't witless
2,256 Posts
Good that you were able to work this out; in surprised you had problems with Kufatec, I've always had good experiences with them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i didnt work it out, you guys did lol.. i have been scouring different search term results for days to find this .. thanks .. very useful!

but, any idea where that pin 6 on T10s (the cruis stalk connector) wires to via the fuse? is it live 30 or switched 75x under the relay panel?

would be a great help

·
Registered
776 Posts
All power feeds to the cruise stalk and MFSW module MUST be switched, else it'll kill the battery.
When I did my install last fall (also used that Kufatec harness), I wired the feeds to an inline fuse holder that I connected to the 75x lug on the relay plate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
should that stalk be grounded somewhere do you know? the 452 relay is grounded at pin 10 (T18c/10) and the pinouts on the T10s dont have a ground pin.

the wheel outputs all buttons in measuring block, the ON/OFF switch for cruise on the stalk is just still dead.

if i check with a multimeter and ground somewhere else i get a 12v feed, is the only ground that covers the stalk also at pin 10 on relay 452?

thanks again

·
Registered
776 Posts
No, no ground connection for the stalk switch. It outputs +12vdc to both the MFSW module (at T18M/4) and the ECM (via T15a/10) to 'enable' cruise control.
The MFSW input can be seen in VCDS; the ECM inputs cannot. That said, if you're missing the ECM input, the CRUISE light in the instrument cluster will not turn on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
cheers cuppie, just to confirm then ill need pin 4 t10s (cruise stalk plug) should be connected to both t18c/4 (the 452 relay) and also the white connector in the ecu housing, t15a/10?

thanks again

1 - 20 of 23 Posts