Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone! I'm new to this whole customization thing. Just wanted to share that I'm originally Russian, but moved to Canada. European in blood I've just had to get something of European and got VW Passat GLX WAGON. I loved and color and just couldn't resist the deal. Pics are coming up.

Specs (noob):

V6 30Valve 193bhp
Everything else I'll figure out later :p

Questions:
1. Any possible ideas on customizations I could make?
2. Whats the best tint out there?
3. Are there any customizations for dashboards?

Cheer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice looking wagon! :thumbup:

1. Customizations are up to you, you could lower it with some lowering springs get some different rims etc etc to make it stand apart from every other passat. As for the V6 the aftermarket isn't as plentiful as for the 1.8t but there is stuff available in the form of chips and superchargers if you're willing to spend some $$$$.

2. Can't help you on the tint. Someone else should chime in.

3. What were you looking to do with the dash? If your car is a 2003 or later I know they removed the led's from the vents in the dash. There's a writeup floating around here somewhere on how to retrofit some led's to make the vents light up like on earlier B5's.

Make sure you're up to date on maintenance and the car should treat you very well! Also there's lots of good information on here should something go wrong! :wrench:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea its a V6 2.8L not turbo. Engine is pretty clean all though I heard there is a way to clean the car, so it shines and then wax it so that the water/rain/dirt dont leave stains

·
for your entertainment...
7,035 Posts
Welcome and congrats on a fine looking B5.5. Gorgeous colour too.

You could chip the 30 valve, and while the hp gains are minimal (maybe 10-15) you eliminate the speed limiter but most importantly, you have amazing throttle response, especially at highways speeds. You step on it and it goes like hell, right away.

You could lower it. My wagon has koni yellows with Eibach springs. Makes a HUGE improvement in handling. Low profile rims/tires also make it handle and look better. ;) Tint, shop around and if you can, find a shop that's recommended.

There are also a load of OEM wood replacements available and if you're interested I have a link with all the parts numbers (some aren't cheap).

Have fun adn keep us aprised of your progress.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quite interesting about chipping the 30V, but what exactly does the "chip" word mean. IM just starting modding and my english aint that great.

And yea, the link for wood thing replacements would be cool

·
for your entertainment...
7,035 Posts
Quite interesting about chipping the 30V, but what exactly does the "chip" word mean. IM just starting modding and my english aint that great.

And yea, the link for wood thing replacements would be cool
Chip is a bit of a misnomber. It's actually re-mapping the engine computer for more performance. Basically the technician will plug his laptop into your car (under the dash) and do the reprogramming and in about 10 minutes or so, you're done. :) I got mine done with a GIAC 'chip' for about $300.

I'll post that link tomorrow, since i have it at the office. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds really cool, with a nice price tag though... and how can i trust that the technitian doesnt mess up. Another questions should arise such as will it increase or decrease fuel consumption. Will it improve engine noise or not.... etc..

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have a 1.8T so it's different... but I got 30-40 HP and about 100 more km to a tank of gas from 'chipping' ;) Had my diverter valve upgraded at the same time so you can now hear a better "blow off" sound and since I'm turbo... you hear the turbo spool up much louder and faster :D

My exhaust may have also helped make spooling louder and faster... but the exhaust now drowns out the turbo :(

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eOVzr_YVQ4A

Hopefully my new Borla muffler will tame it and make it a deeper growl instead of that raspy one...

Since you've got a V6... do some exhaust work, you'll sound like this hopefully! :icon_eek: DROOL!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xyYieCiReL0&feature=related

If not, some shoes and a drop will make one hell of a difference!

Rub a dub dub, welcome to the club, enjoy your ride! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Lovin' the interior cuz i have the same! Pain in that ass to clean though. I'm having mine detailed this summer after years of ownership.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts