Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I just thought I would share my impressions of these Konis as I havent seen too many others upgrade shocks on bone stock springs and wheels.
My car is a 99 1.8T, FWD, 5 speed, standard susp option. Im running stock 15" alloy wheels. Appearance mods only except for Panzer skid plate. It has 158K miles, mostly well maintained. It has spent all its life in new england, so all the running gear showed a lot of rust, but the body is rust free.
The upper CAs needed replacing (original), lowers had been replaced by VW at 90K, still look new. The shocks had been replaced before and seem to be functioning, but pretty floaty w/ lots of front end diving in turns and braking. The were very rusty, but i think they say "autohaus" on them.
Rears were super easy, replaced all bolts with new ones. Fronts were a bitch due to the worst possible pinch bolt and TRE fail you can imagine, ill do another post with those details. I replaced the upper shock mount pads as well. TRE were replaced with upgraded solid style. Neither the TREs or pinch bolts have ever been touched on this car until now. AAck!
On recommendation from some others here I left the rears on full soft setting, fronts with one half turn stiffer (thats a setting of "1" on a 0-6 scale. To be clear, these shocks can ONLY be adjusted during installation. Once the spring is on, thats it.

Review:
Konis never dissappoint. I have never had a car with konis that wasnt a improvement in every way.
On this soft settings, they are NOT too stiff for a stock car. We have some pretty bumpy roads up here in VT and I have no complaints. I think if I lived somewhere smoother I would try them on a stiffer setting, but this is fine for here.
Brake diving and body roll are greatly reduced. You can feel they are a little firmer, but they are NOT AT ALL JARRING. My GF stock Honda Accord wishes it was this smooth.
My Passat is now tight and stable, corners better with less understeer, brakes planted in the pavement. My Gf says its as comfy ride as the 09 accord (and it doesnt have the annoying thud noise that car has).
I bought these new in box from fellow PW member gerwazy for a sweet deal (thanks, great guy to deal with) but I would pay full price for this upgrade if i had too.

The upgraded solid TREs are also nicer. They give a firmer response to the wheel. doesnt transmit any vibes, but you can feel the bumps in the steering wheel a little more.

Im happy to answer any questions.

Attachments

· Registered
152 Posts
I'm not sure how these are installed as I replaced my suspension with a KW V2 coilovers but I imagine they might be similiar? For the fronts I actually drilled a small hole through the top mount and the body probably no bigger than this: ( ) I am able to access the allen head on the topside and adjust the settings on my front shocks.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's why I'm trying to clarify this. There seems to be a lot of confusion on the different Konis shocks.
On these shocks, you can only adjust them by fully compressing the piston and turning. There is NO Allen screw or any other adj mechanism.
These can ONLY be adjusted before you install the coil spring.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should clarify further that the REAR shocks can be adjusted if you disconnect the lower bolt, then compress the shock and turn shock body. This is possible since the spring is separate in the rear. Again, FRONT shocks can only be adjusted when the spring is removed from the shock, which can only be done with the spring/ shock assembly removed from the car.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update
I was really getting on it driving around yesterday. Full power accel in 2 nd. My right wheel dropped into a pothole I didn't see. I could feel the shocks planting that wheel as solid as possible. Car maintained stability and traction perfectly. On the old shocks, probably would have lost traction completely on that side and become unstable.
I have so much more confidence in this car now.

· Registered
152 Posts
I should clarify further that the REAR shocks can be adjusted if you disconnect the lower bolt, then compress the shock and turn shock body. This is possible since the spring is separate in the rear. Again, FRONT shocks can only be adjusted when the spring is removed from the shock, which can only be done with the spring/ shock assembly removed from the car.
I'm going to have to try that sometime. Sounds so much easier than how I have been doing it. SO you can feel a definitive "click" when turned?

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, you can only feel it when it hits the stops at either end of the scale. Koni seems to define one 180 turn of the shaft as one setting, but I suppose you could set in between. Might be hard to remember where you set it, or feel the difference.
For the rear, you will have to remove the wheel for access. Also be aware there is an inboard and outboard side to the shock bushing spacer at the axle end. On the previous shock replacement, the mech had apparently installed mine backwards. Didn't seem to make any diff on my car, but I think they would rub on wider tires/wheels if reversed.

· PassatWorld Elder
28,082 Posts
The bumpstop on the rear shock should prevent it from locking into the adjuster. You would still need to remove the shock to adjust it.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
right again PZ. Im failing at clarifying this myself!
As PZ pointed out, you can only adj the rear shock in place if you dont have a bumpstop.
So normally with these shocks, there is NO on car adjustment at all, front or rear.
here are some installed pics

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.