Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace stock shocks/struts but budget kinda tight have eibach pro-kit lowering springs.

Any advice?

Thanks

·
Administrator
23,351 Posts
They are fine. I know one member that is using them as a stock replacement and he likes it.

I did not see it in your profile....you have a 98-00 FWD, right? that's the only range they are made for.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually no I have a 05.

Well that kinda sucks. Hmm KYB? Or go for twice the expensive ones.
May just have to drop the 550 for the Eibach units.

Thanks, Todd

·
Administrator
23,351 Posts
Everything I have seen with regards to passats and KYB has not been good. Premature failure, horrible ride, etc.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow good to know! Think I will go with the Eibach they are made by Sachs in Germany. So I have confidence they will be a quality product, worth the few extra bucks!

Need to get my summer rubber back on the car!

Thanks as always.

·
Administrator
23,351 Posts
Eibach on Eibach would be the logical choice as they also sell that combo as a kit. Good to know they are sachs units. OE supplier.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that is what I was thinking too, Eibach and Eibach. Also looking at Bilsteins then could get ECS "coilover kit" down the road.

Hello out there in Ia City! Have some really good friend out there at IA City Motorsports! Just got back from MotoGP in Austin with the Manager! Incredible track!!!

Thanks, Todd

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm looking to get shocks too for my Passat 1.8t. I installed some VW sport springs (same as Eibach pro-kit's I believe) a while back on my stock shocks and it's time to replace the shocks.

Is there really a difference between shocks/stuts from a b5 and b5.5? No one seems to list Koni Str.t shocks for the B5.5, except Parts4VW's

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I run B5.5 shocks on my 98 B5. The only difference I noted was the lower mount plate for the front springs on the front shock body. The springs from the B5 fit right onto the plate and everything. They may have changed the damping coefficients too in later models to compensate for the extra weight they added with reinforcements they added to the front. Otherwise, I didn't notice much change in how my car handled, just that the newer shocks did a better job damping.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I run B5.5 shocks on my 98 B5. The only difference I noted was the lower mount plate for the front springs on the front shock body. The springs from the B5 fit right onto the plate and everything. They may have changed the damping coefficients too in later models to compensate for the extra weight they added with reinforcements they added to the front. Otherwise, I didn't notice much change in how my car handled, just that the newer shocks did a better job damping.
Thanks for the info. What is different about the lower mount plate for the front springs? The position or shape or something else? If your B5 springs fit the B5.5 shocks, I'm assuming the opposite would work too, right?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Thanks for the info. What is different about the lower mount plate for the front springs? The position or shape or something else? If your B5 springs fit the B5.5 shocks, I'm assuming the opposite would work too, right?
Yes, the B5 springs fit onto the B5.5 lower mount plate fine. B5.5 springs should work on a B5. I think the spring/damper rate is a little higher to compensate for extra weight in the B5.5's as a I mentioned before. I think there is a minor height difference, if you wanted to know more, PM the suspension guru / Passatworld member extraordinaire "PZ" . You really have to pay attention to how it's oriented though. The lower mount plate can be knocked loose and spun around if you wanted to. Tweaked one way just a bit and you'll have a hard time installing the lower bolt onto the lower straight control arm.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,164 Posts
You really have to pay attention to how it's oriented though. The lower mount plate can be knocked loose and spun around if you wanted to. Tweaked one way just a bit and you'll have a hard time installing the lower bolt onto the lower straight control arm.
X2. When I installed Koni yellows on my B5 A4, I reused my stock sport (1BE) springs. I looked at how everything was lined up and made paint (ok fine, it was nail polish) marks on the springs so I could line everything up with the new shocks. The spring seats spin easily when you have the spring compressed and are putting it back together, but when they are all assembled and ready to go back in it's basically locked.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts