Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the new Koni FSD struts? I was looking to get more information about their sport shocks and came upon the FSD's. They run about $50 more. It sounds like something Cadillac has been doing with their "magnaride". I am not sure if it is worth getting these over the sports. :hmmm:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
$50 for the set or a piece? I'd try 'em out for $50 for the set.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Koni Fsd

Let me start by making it clear that I work for KONI. The new FSD line is a completely revolutionary way of valving a shock. The shock design allows them to be tuned for both velocity as well as frequency. All other non-electric shocks are velocity sensitive. What this means is that the faster the shock rod moves the more force the shock makes. With the addition of frequency sensitivity the shock can make large amounts of force in low frequencies, the frequencies that involve roll, squat and dive. This same shock will make less force for bumps and pavement irregularities. This is for a given piston velocity. My only personal experience with this at the moment is in a Jetta V where it made a noticeable improvement. I am waiting for the first production run to be made for my B5 fwd.
It made the Jetta feel more refined and was much flatter while not having any ill effects on the ride. For the system to work properly the car must remain at stock ride height. This is because engaging the bump rubbers greatly affects the body frequency. When the frequency increases, the forces decrease. FSD was originally installed in the Lamborghini Gallardo.
You can visit the KONI FSD website for more information.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for posting. I read up on thier website. My car came with the sport suspension from VW. Do I have to remove that suspension in order to use the FSD's? You make it sound like the FSD's will essentially replace the sport suspension. Is that right.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
What about the fact that the typical 'tuner', or person that would spend the money for Konis, also wants performance springs, most of which lower the car to some extent? Even VW offers three springs for my version (2000) - std, 1BE and Sport, all which have different ride heights.

·
Registered
152 Posts
We have tested the units and they will work with all different levels of OE springs. It is when the rates go up dramatically either with the springs or the bumprubbers that FSD may function improperly. FSD is what most people would look for in a factory sport suspension with a substantial improvement over the OE sport handling. In many cases both ride and handling improve.
If your goal is to significantly lower your car and OE sport is not the answer KONI sport is your solution. If you don't plan on lowering the car FSD gives you dramatic improvement with a bolt on shock.

·
is a sweetheart
3,056 Posts
bob45228 said:
Let me start by making it clear that I work for KONI.
Let me just say that with that statement, your life as you currently know it is over :D. Prepare to be INUNDATED with technical requests as you are now an "insider"; you might as well change your screen name to "Deep Throat" :p . Hell, the only way you'd get more attention at PW would be if you stated that you were a lingerie model who's turned on by German sedans and the guys who drive them :Yikes: .

BTW, thanks for the info, I'll definitely be looking into these when I get ready to upgrade.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Pokey said:
Let me just say that with that statement, your life as you currently know it is over :D. Prepare to be INUNDATED with technical requests as you are now an "insider"; you might as well change your screen name to "Deep Throat" :p . Hell, the only way you'd get more attention at PW would be if you stated that you were a lingerie model who's turned on by German sedans and the guys who drive them :Yikes: .
That is a risk I run. I have enjoyed this forum as a B5 owner ever since I found it. This site hase saved me some money. I hope to save other members some grief and give sound advice. I would consider myself knowledgeable and have some good resources for problem solving. I have been involve with KONI technical support for over 8 years now, questions don't scare me. Just as long I can continue to ask questions of my fellow B5ers.

BTW I am turned on by German sedans, but not by the guys who drive them.:puke: And for sake of those around me I try to keep my lingerie modeling to a minimum.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
142 Posts
8 years!
Hope that means you treat your customers better than the folks at Koni in Kentucky.
Product looks nice, based upon my experience with Koni NA, I would strongly suggest looking elswhere. Among the worst customer service I've ever received.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Who'd you speak to in Koni of Kentucky? I've spoken w/ Lee a couple times, and he's been nothing but great. He's also a really active member of the motorsport community and helps everyone he can, even if they're his competition.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Perhaps you guys got off on the wrong foot...he's a great guy from my experiences.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Certainly not from mine.

It's okay, I'm taking a loss on the konis I was only able to use for 3 months and enjoying the superior performance of my bilsteins now. Could've afforded coilovers with the money I blew buying dampers twice.

Just putting the warning out there since koni gets nothing but positive reviews on here. Based on my experience they are not deserved.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Bob, greeting from Columbus. I'm looking at getting some shocks to go with my new springs. I'm looking at Koni's and Bilsteins. I wonder which one you'd recommend? ha ha :)

Actually, I'm planning on calling shox.com soon.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Glad to here. I live in Cincinnati myself. Shox is a good company to deal with, good prices and service. They won't let you down.

·
Registered
152 Posts
OceanRagtop said:
You commented that the FSD shocks are tuned for each car at stock ride height. I have a USA-spec 2001 VW CamryCamryCamryCamryCamryCamry GLX V6 4Motion that came with the standard 1BA suspension, whereas in Europe the "sport" suspension is the 1BE flavor. I am strongly considering changing over to the 1BE springs, which increase the spring rates with very minor lowering. Am considering the Koni Sport shock, the Bilstein and the factory 1BE shock, but frankly I am pretty certain that I'd like to stay in the 1BE or slightly-firmer area of the spectrum. Hence the questions ...

Questions:

1. Does Koni offer the FSD specifically for Passats with the Euro Sport springs (1BE), or just the standard 1BA springs? If so, then how would these be different than the application for the 1BA springs?

2. If a 1BE variant of FSD is not offered, just how bad would the altered handling be at the point when the bump stops were engaged?
I apologize that I have been away from Passatworld for so long, I have been quite busy and didn't notice the PM in my mail. The FSD for the CamryCamryCamryCamryCamryCamry will work equally as well with the 1BE as the 1BA, as they are both factory and fall into the same general spring rates. The main issue with FSD is if the spring rate is significantly higher, either through the rate increase of the spring or the added rate of a bumprubber, FSD will not work. The premise behind FSD that makes it so effective is tuning based on body frequency. If a high frequency is determined less force is applied. When your spring rate goes up, your body frenquencies also go up so FSD will make less force. If you put the car on a high rate aftermarket spring or put the car on its bumpstops the body frequency will go up significantly, and FSD will will always be making low forces which will make the car really bouncy. I hope this clears things up a bit. So either OE spring will work as I suspect that FSD was developed on a 1BE equipped car in Europe.

·
Registered
152 Posts
What quality issues are you speaking of? I am aware of none, although occasionally I have seen some false rumors on different websites.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Nothing on constructing side. Over here in Eu few auto journals over last few years were mentioning poor production quality like cracked shocks bodies,poor valves, rest I don't remember. Last year one Russian magazine had their journalists over in Holland on FSD presentation. From the article- indirectly was confirmed (if it was not journalists "invention") that there were "some" issues that are practically solved.

Personaly I had 2 set of Yellows (in about 2 years time) that were "worning out" very fast,for me anyway. I was forced 2 per year (12K of city only driving per annum) to "tighten" shocks. My original set up was quite conservative (vs what I usualy read) 90degrees fronts and 45degrees rears (from almost 720degrees).
Both times all shocks (in different %) were warned more than 60%, i.e only 40% of dampening characteristics left. On normal shocks this would be time to throw them away, with 40% or less remaining dampening ability.

Is this normal or you find it faster than you see usualy?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts