Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 3 sets of Koni shocks/struts for my daughter’s Passat’s; a 02 GLS a 03 GLS and a 02 GLX (still in the body shop). What is the best (most comfortable) setting for the girls? They won’t be tracking or auto crossing the cars. TIA

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Metroman, most comfortable setting for most people is full soft in rear and 1/4 turn from full soft in front (these are what I have). If you want slightly aggressive, you can try 1/4 turn from full soft in rear and 1/2 turn from full soft in front.

Also, the number of turns end to end are not the same for front and rears. I think the front has a total of 2.5 turns and the rear 2 (I may be wrong on this).

I assume you are having the springs swapped to something better than stock... They will love the Koni's :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
i believe the shocks are set up for a lowered spring. try emailing koni usa. mine are set on one full turn in front, half turn in rear. that would probably be a little stiff for them, any stiffer and i would have to change them, but for me, they are just right.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Konis work perfectly well with the stock springs . . .

No need to change them unless you are going for the lowered look, or for significantly better handling. (It'll still handle better than stock with the Konis and the stock springs)

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Koni's travel less than the stock ones... you know this already...

Are you better off higher with a 'stiffer - than stock' suspension OR couple inches lower?

I don't know. You raise a good point. People usually want to lower, so they wanna swap stock springs for lowering ones. That is not advisable to do for long - stock shocks and lower springs.

This is the opposite. How is the handling dmatre1?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stranded In Daytona & YetAnother20V....Thanks for the "LOL". I tend to spoil my wife and kids and at times myself. Next time I would perfer 3 sons and 1 daughter....us guys are a lot less maintance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
YetAnother20V said:
How is the handling dmatre1?
The handling is much more crisp than stock - none of the float/wallow that the Passat had originally. The ride is 'tight', but not 'harsh'. The wife doesn't complain about the ride, so you know it's not too bad. (They Konis were harsh for the first couple of hundred miles, but then they softened up to the point where they are now - and they've stayed at that point about 15k miles now)

If you're looking for a nice improvement for a moderate investment (as the original shocks at shot at 50k and need to be replaced anyway), then Konis alone are a nice addition.

If you are looking for the lowered look, or for greatly improved performance, then springs/shocks are the way to go.

PS: The Konis on the wife's car are set full-soft all the way around

·
Registered
29,166 Posts
I have my Konis set on 1/2 turn from full soft on the front and full soft on the rears. I tried full soft on the front but it was too bouncy.

·
Registered
29,166 Posts
tenbroeck said:
PZ, are you also running Koni's on stock springs? If so, how do you like the ride.
Got them on Eibachs. Ride is good,firmer than stock,but not harsh. They would be great for stock springs if you do not want to lower the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.