Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a new KO4 turbo at a good price and have a few questions if anyone can helpout??

Is the KO4 a direct replacement for the KO3, for example :

Does the KO4 use the same exhaust manifold as a KO3?

Are the oil lines/connections the same as a KO3?

Would i have to get the ecu properly mapped to run a KO4?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'm running a k04 on my wifes 1.8T completely stock. You will have no problems running this with a stock ECU. I've even heard they'll work with a K03 Chip, but I'm not so sure about that. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That's a topic that i'd like some info on too :wink:

And on a separate note, is the difference in between the K03-K04 that obvious that if you still have a powertrain warranty it'll be voided the moment the dealer will see the new turbo on the car?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Kojack,

As far as performance goes, I don't think it made a difference. One thing that comes to mind when driving the car, however, is a thread on hear a while back stating "this is the turbo the B5 should have came with." I feel the same way because you can hear the whine of the turbo. It's not real loud, but you will notice it's there, and on a road with no cars and someone jogging on the side, you can turn their heads by giving the car some gas. I'm working on putting together a K04 kit using 3bar Fuel Pressure Regulator, 310cc injectors, and the GIAC software for it. If you put the kit together yourself, you can easily save $500 or more.

Karmann,

As far as a dealer voiding warranty, the K04 looks exactly like the k03. I think the outside dimensions are exactly the same. IMHO, the dealer would have to remove the turbo to prove it's a k04. One way to prove this is to try and see what the data plate or the part numbers on the k03 are. All the part numbers on the k04 are in the same place as the k03.

Let me know if you have anymore questions, or you want me to elaborate on something. HTH

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
B5V6 said:
I'm running a k04 on my wifes 1.8T completely stock. You will have no problems running this with a stock ECU. I've even heard they'll work with a K03 Chip, but I'm not so sure about that. Let me know if you have any questions.
So B5V6, did the KO4 just bolt onto the same manifold as the KO3, are all the connections the same for the oil pipes, turbo hoses, exhaust etc etc?

Does it matter that the KO4 i'm looking at is for an Audi tt 225bhp?

Is the turbo outlet pipe the same size and shape, as i have been searching ebay in Germany today and found various KO3/4's and some had different length turbo outlet pipes to mine?

What about setting up the wastegate actuator?

I've had my car chipped with an upsolute chip.

Thanks for the response so far :)

·
Registered
26,585 Posts
The TT KO4 will not fit the Passat. You need a KO4-15.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PZ said:
The TT KO4 will not fit the Passat. You need a KO4-15.
Thanks for the bad news PZ :) , what car does the KO4-15 come off please, so that i know what to look for in the future??

Whats different about the TT KO4??

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I don't know that they use a k04-15 on a vehicle already, but I know the k04-15 (the one I have) is a direct fit. Oil lines, coolant lines, manifold, and down pipe all fit with not adjustment. There is nothing you have to modify to fit this part in. Send an email to [email protected] and see what his price for a k04 shipped is. For the USA, they're $720 shipped. The best price I've seen ever, and that's who I purchased mine from.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Macabre & luvmyb5.

I didnt realise that there were different sizes/styles of the KO3/4, i thought they were all one set size per type.

Not so many A4 KO4's knocking around

1 - 17 of 17 Posts