Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just today I started experiencing a knocking noise coming from what appears to be the driver's side wheel well area. The noise doesn't get louder or quieter, it starts after I go from a dead stop to ~5+ mph and stops after ~25mph. It doesn't matter if I'm going straight or if I'm turning, the noise is there so I doubt it's the CV boot.

It's definately noticable and in fact if I turn down the stereo it's rather loud. It's a knocking/clicking sound that 2 or 3 'beats' per second.

Any one know what might be the problem? What does a bad wheel bearing sound like?

·
Registered
115 Posts
what your descirbing sounds like the same thing i had when my control arms were making noise, try to just push the car up and down on that side, to see if you can hear it as well, if you do, then id say its the control arms.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem solved! I removed the driver side wheel and upon turning the rotor, I found that there was a bolt loose (not on the control arm) on a inner panel (as far in as you can see) and the protruding head of the bolt was rubbing against the suspension arrray it moved! :eek:

Bolted it down and the rubbing/knocking stopped. :suspicio: Phew! 8)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
S_Klass
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing