Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help.

I have a VW Passat 1.9 TDI Estate and just put a nice set of 18" RS4 Alloys on it. Before this, I noticed a heavy knocking noise coming from the front drivers side (right) when going over bumps in the road. but since putting these new alloys on it, the knocking noise just seem louder.

Before I put on the alloys I had a look at the drop links etc and all seemed ok, but I really dunno what to look for in them!?!? I know the top ones were replaced maybe 20k ago.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers
Shaiboy_UK

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I had a pair of dangerously-worn upper control arms that looked perfectly fine and didn't wiggle when I grabbed them and shook them. The car puts so much more stress on those parts than any human ever could, it's entirely possible that you're simply incapable of "checking" them hard enough.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would jack the front of the car of to alleviate the presure on everything and then pull rim/tire and move the rotor back and forth and up and down this will sometimes let you see worn parts better by not having the vehichle weight masking it.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I would jack the front of the car of to alleviate the presure on everything and then pull rim/tire and move the rotor back and forth and up and down this will sometimes let you see worn parts better by not having the vehichle weight masking it.
Jacking the car up is the only way you can get a good grip on the control arms anyway. Unfortunately, when you jack the car up, the springs will pull the entire suspension assembly taut. Some people say you can grab the control arms and shake them back and forth if they're loose, but I'll be damned if I could ever manage it.

You could replace the control arms yourself, but it's probably better to let an experienced mechanic do it. Just leave a note taped to the steering wheel that the control arm bolts ABSOLUTELY MUST BE TIGHTENED WITH THE CAR STANDING ON ITS WHEELS. Otherwise, the bushing seals will get twisted so badly the first time you hit a pothole that they're rip right in half.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts