Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Knock problem

Tags
knock problem
6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sokerer 
#1 ·
Hello i am from italy nice forum and really nice peeps, well i hope that someone can give me an help with my passat b5 1.8t year 2000 the car is chipped with aftermarket divertervalve, sport cat and K&N air filter well everything seemed ok until one month ago after i had to replace my spark plugs, normally my car has no problems but happened 2 times that i noticed knocking:
VAG-COM Version: Release 303.1

Control Module Part Number: 4B0 906 018 AC
Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT 01 0004
Software Coding: 04001
Work Shop Code: WSC 05311
4 Faults Found:
16712 - Knock Sensor 1 (G61): Signal too High
P0328 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16717 - Knock Sensor 2 (G66): Signal too High
P0333 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17735 - Knock-Control: Cylinder 3: Regulation Limit Exceeded
P1327 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17734 - Knock-Control: Cylinder 2: Regulation Limit Exceeded
P1326 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

my mecanic told me that this problem should not be caused by the new spark plugs which are ngk r platinum and he is thinking to change the timings in the chip, but if i never had problems of knoking in 1 year with the same chip i really don't think that this is caused from bad timings .
i hope that someone can help me :)
regards Sokerer

See less See more
#3 ·
I have the same car as you. Do you have the APU engine?

I had a similar problem when the MAF got dirty because of over oiling my K&N filter. Try cleaning your MAF. Remove it and spray the sensor wire and flat plate with a good quality electronic contact cleaner. The wire and flat plate are inside a kind of tunnel in the bottom of the MAF unit. If you wish, you may also clean the intake air pressure sensor (top of intercooler near intake hose) and intake air temp sensor (beside throttle body) the same way.

Also chack plug gaps. I use the original NGK PFR6Q with the recommended gap of .031" (0.8 mm)

Let me know if this helps.

#4 ·
ok today i will procede with the cleaning of maf sensor i will try also to locate and clean the air pressure sensor and the air temp sensor for the plugs i have to ask to my mechanic don't know the gap of the current plugs and unfortunately i have no more my old plugs :sad:
thank you all very much i hope all of this works :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.