Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing pics on this site of cars that have pockets for the manual etc. on the drivers side knee bolster. (the piece under the steering wheel). Is it possible to get one of these to install in my 98. Is this a new model piece or a euro piece. All my old VWs had a pocket, and I miss them. What are sources? How much?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I believe the part number for what you want is 3b1857921. I got one today, along with the newer center console with armrest for my car, but so far I have had a problem replacing the old one. They changed the design a little bit, but I think it will work. Maybe I'll post pics later today if I can of the two different parts.

·
Registered
140 Posts
pcpayne said:
I believe the part number for what you want is 3b1857921. I got one today, along with the newer center console with armrest for my car, but so far I have had a problem replacing the old one. They changed the design a little bit, but I think it will work. Maybe I'll post pics later today if I can of the two different parts.
What color is that part, black or beige? I am not familiar with the VW part color coding system.

What did it run you?

·
Registered
149 Posts
i picked mine up from a junkyard, they charged me 30 for it. as i said i haven't yet installed it, i am cleaning up the console i bought and installing it first. i will let you guys know how it goes. btw, 1stvwparts charges 75 i think, i would post the link, but they use a form submission when you look up parts, so you'll have to do it yourself. they call it the "instrument panel, instrument panel, lower cover - (color)"
ps mine is beige. the b5.5 beige is actually a 'sunshine beige' so it is a little more yellow than the b5 beige. interior blacks and grays are the same though (i think) across the platforms

·
Registered
140 Posts
pcpayne said:
i ps mine is beige. the b5.5 beige is actually a 'sunshine beige' so it is a little more yellow than the b5 beige. interior blacks and grays are the same though (i think) across the platforms
Please keep us informed. Pics if you can.

I'm especially interested in how noticeable the difference between the beiges will be. For isolated items like sunglass holders and W8 sunroof controls, it shouldn't be too bad. But for an item up against the center console I might be a little nervous.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I'm also curioius about the color difference as I have beige. Maybe I just need to find a junked 5.5 and replace all the dash parts, :eek:h: I like the sunshine beige or black much more. :weirdo:

·
Registered
149 Posts

you can see here that there is a big difference...

notice the backing in the new one, on the right, it is plastic. the old one
on the left doesn't have this so i am currently trying to figure out exactly
what i need to remove in order to make this one fit.
see these images below also :

·
Registered
149 Posts
actually it's there, just hard to see cause the pic is so small. maybe i'll make them bigger again. It's in almost the same place, just oriented perpendicular to the b5 position. these pics were more for the color difference...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.