Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share a cute and funny story about my daughter, Lily (5).

My mom watches my girls on Tuesdays and Thursdays, while my wife and I work. Mom is a procrastinator AND an avoider. Tuesday, before I leave work, she calls me, asking if I can pick up the girls at a Thrift Store that she's shopping for things for my grandparents who can't get out. I show up and Lily is walking around this store, carrying a shopping basket full of utter crap. ;) I see it and cringe, thinking how much of this is coming to my house. Mom is there, looking at trinkets and talking with Lily, asking her what she wants to give so-and-so. Well, the minute I arrive, Lily shows me everything she has picked out for everyone. She's so proud. But then, she says, "Dad, is there anything here that catches your eye?" :D I'm thinking where the hell has she heard anyone say that before? "No honey, I don't need anything." "But Dad, I really want to find you something for Christmas."
She walks away, and comes back with a little plastic figure of a pheasent. She looks at me and says, "hey Dad, how about this, does this catch your eye?" I look at her :crazy: "honey, Daddy doesn't need any presents."

Then the lady comes over and says they're closing in a few minutes.
I told my wife the story, and she thinks it's so funny, the way she said it. I think it's a sweet and funny story, and just wanted to share. :thumbup:

Anyone want to share a funny story, too?

·
Registered
816 Posts
you know you needed that phaesent figure! lol

dude you should have just bought it, would have made your lil girl super happy.

lol i have no stories. my daughter is only 10 months old. but shes learning to walk...shes really independent and doesn't like us holding her when she does it, so she bats our hands away. but then she only gets like 2 steps before falling on her ass. she forgets that she doesn't know how to do it yet. lol its funny

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
99, that's very cute. Right now is exactly the age to teach her that giving is more important than getting, so you need to smile and accept her gifts with all the love she puts into them. If you don't want her spending money, ask her to make you something.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, i know now that i should have let her buy that for me. i was pissy and it honestly didn't even cross my mind at the time.

i'm hoping mom didn't listen to me, and bought it anyhow. ;) i know my daughter would love taking 5 minutes wrapping it with Grandma, and giving it to me. :)

Mike, it definitely wasn't the money...i think the goofy thing was a quarter. i was just being a dumbass! :banghead: stupid stupid! it's all good, i'm sure my daughter isn't upset now, i just hope i didn't hurt her feelings. she really was trying, then.

now that you say it, when i was a kid, i remember at Eyerly's department store they had "Santa's Workshop". It was a huge house they put up, just for kids' shopping. Mom gave us a few bucks and we had to shop for the parents and family. It was the BEST!

I guess they don't do anything like that anymore, maybe because they want to be P.C.?

who has some more stories?

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
Actually grade schools around here often do a Santa's workshop thing where kids can go shop in the gym for stuff for their parents. Nothing over a dollar. We used to do it on the Saturday we had "breakfast with Santa." Guess who took all the Santa photos? :p

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
I would've been thankful that she didn't spend $20 on some NEW piece of crap. :poke:

But enough criticism. It's Christmas.

The other day we were shopping with my kids and my son (5) was being a PITA. So my wife takes out her cell phone and "calls Santa" and reports my son's behavior. My son's eyes widened. Then she relays to my son that Santa is not going to put him on the naughty list, YET.

Afterward, I was watching my son and could see the wheels turning.

A little while later, after I had told him, "No." about something, he proceeded to mime a telephone and HE called Santa to report MY behavior. He then told me that I would be getting coal for Christmas.

I nearly threw up laughing. :lol:

·
Registered
816 Posts
I would've been thankful that she didn't spend $20 on some NEW piece of crap. :poke:

But enough criticism. It's Christmas.

The other day we were shopping with my kids and my son (5) was being a PITA. So my wife takes out her cell phone and "calls Santa" and reports my son's behavior. My son's eyes widened. Then she relays to my son that Santa is not going to put him on the naughty list, YET.

Afterward, I was watching my son and could see the wheels turning.

A little while later, after I had told him, "No." about something, he proceeded to mime a telephone and HE called Santa to report MY behavior. He then told me that I would be getting coal for Christmas.

I nearly threw up laughing. :lol:
OMFG! your son is clever! that is hilarious, i lol'ed at work. lolololol

man that made my day.

·
I bring nothing to the table
183 Posts
Mike, it definitely wasn't the money...i think the goofy thing was a quarter. i was just being a dumbass! :banghead: stupid stupid! it's all good, i'm sure my daughter isn't upset now, i just hope i didn't hurt her feelings. she really was trying, then.
It may have been a quarter on the price tag, but if you find it under the Christmas tree you'll realize that it is actually priceless. Please don't think I'm trying to make you :banghead:any harder. My oldest daughter will be 5 in January and I think I have permanently altered the shape of my own forehead doing similar things. Lots and lots and lots of :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Story time: I almost did it again on this one, but eventually we all learn...

Last Saturday my oldest, Julianna, was being a typical precocious 5 year old and had driven my wife just about over the edge - OK, I admit, me too, but the wifey worse. No amount of yelling, time-outs, privelleges revoked - anything - was getting her in line. Straight up 'attitude city' and about as obedient as a..., uh, cat. (You get the picture...) My wife took off to go work out at the gym and finish up some Christmas shopping. Julianna took a nap. When the little stinker got up, she once again needed to be the center of the universe. After the preceding hours, I was still a bit frayed and didn't really want to support this 'me-me-me' thing she had going - but I finally opened my ears a bit to what she wanted and really listened. Underneath the "Daddy! Come on, Daddy! Help me color! I want to go outside! I have to do it now!" (in that whining voice of a small girl that can so grate on the nerves), I finally heard what she was asking for that I hadn't listened to well enough (ignored?) before she actually started the whining. "Daddy, Mommy is upset with me because I wasn't listening. Let's make her a present. Can we go in the back yard and pick some flowers so we can make her one of those, um, what do you call it again?" "You mean a 'bouquet', honey?" "Yeah - a crouqet! Then we can draw her pictures and cut out a heart and make her a card. Can I use the pink paper? She's going to love it so much! Can I put it in the middle of the table so she can see it right when she comes home? When's Mommy going to be home? I miss her." Yes - it was all run together just like that. Needless to say, we spent the next little while having a craft session. It was priceless. Thinking back on it, I wonder about all the other times when I've been an ogre with her after the day has 'gone bad' for a while and I wonder, "How many of these precious moments have I missed?" The more times I think about it, the more I am able to keep the thought in the front of my mind that it is up to me to make a conscious effort not to let these opportunities slip away.

If you do find that pheasant under the tree, put it someplace special where you can see it and it can be a reminder on those tough days...

·
Registered
816 Posts
It may have been a quarter on the price tag, but if you find it under the Christmas tree you'll realize that it is actually priceless. Please don't think I'm trying to make you :banghead:any harder. My oldest daughter will be 5 in January and I think I have permanently altered the shape of my own forehead doing similar things. Lots and lots and lots of :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Story time: I almost did it again on this one, but eventually we all learn...

Last Saturday my oldest, Julianna, was being a typical precocious 5 year old and had driven my wife just about over the edge - OK, I admit, me too, but the wifey worse. No amount of yelling, time-outs, privelleges revoked - anything - was getting her in line. Straight up 'attitude city' and about as obedient as a..., uh, cat. (You get the picture...) My wife took off to go work out at the gym and finish up some Christmas shopping. Julianna took a nap. When the little stinker got up, she once again needed to be the center of the universe. After the preceding hours, I was still a bit frayed and didn't really want to support this 'me-me-me' thing she had going - but I finally opened my ears a bit to what she wanted and really listened. Underneath the "Daddy! Come on, Daddy! Help me color! I want to go outside! I have to do it now!" (in that whining voice of a small girl that can so grate on the nerves), I finally heard what she was asking for that I hadn't listened to well enough (ignored?) before she actually started the whining. "Daddy, Mommy is upset with me because I wasn't listening. Let's make her a present. Can we go in the back yard and pick some flowers so we can make her one of those, um, what do you call it again?" "You mean a 'bouquet', honey?" "Yeah - a crouqet! Then we can draw her pictures and cut out a heart and make her a card. Can I use the pink paper? She's going to love it so much! Can I put it in the middle of the table so she can see it right when she comes home? When's Mommy going to be home? I miss her." Yes - it was all run together just like that. Needless to say, we spent the next little while having a craft session. It was priceless. Thinking back on it, I wonder about all the other times when I've been an ogre with her after the day has 'gone bad' for a while and I wonder, "How many of these precious moments have I missed?" The more times I think about it, the more I am able to keep the thought in the front of my mind that it is up to me to make a conscious effort not to let these opportunities slip away.

If you do find that pheasant under the tree, put it someplace special where you can see it and it can be a reminder on those tough days...
thats a good story, a very good story. i have my daughters first ever beanie in my nightstand, i look at it quite often and it reminds me that no matter how tough things get she'll always love me unconditionally.

·
I bring nothing to the table
183 Posts
On a funnier side of the kid raising world...

Last night, my wife, (almost) 5yr old Julianna, 18 month old Angelina, and poodle, Dancer, were playing with these little VW Bug toy cars that have the little wind up motor in them that you 'wind up' by rolling the car backwards and then letting it go and off it zips. So there are the four of us + dog in the kitchen with these little cars zipping back and forth between me and mommy with the girls chasing them all over and the dog weaving between ankles. Well, it was bound to happen... Angelina trips backwards on the dog and plops on her well padded, diapered butt just as a little car zips her way. It smacks her right in the crotch. Julianna shouts, "Mommy! Angelina just caught it with her vagina!" Boy am I glad we weren't in public...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts