Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my car back from the mechanic, who seems to have fixed my starting problems (by replacing a bad CTS) and when i got it back my clock was reset (they unplugged the battery). Throttle is ok, but a curious thing happened: my keyfob will no longer open all the doors with two pushes, just continues to open the driver's door. I can find no other reports of this problem on the forums. For instance: The trunk button works fine as well as the lock button. I don't have a Vag-Com to mess with the CCM if that's the only way to fix it, maybe if someone locally has one that'd be awesome.

Anyone heard of this happenening? No other settings were reset (radio code, auto windows, etc.) I hope there's one of those cool VW ways of fixing this by holding down some random button or something.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
71 Posts
this probably wont help but the same thing happened to me. i went to the dealer and was quoted 600 to fix. wasnt worth it to me. so then two weeks later i replaced my battery and then all the doors worked fine. I had a bad battery that was causing the problem.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well after you replace the battery, stick the key into the drivers door, turn it and hold it at the lock position, and simultaneously push the lock button on the FOB. If that doesn't work, I would take it back and say "FIX MY DOORS." The VAG-COM that I know of can only change how you unlock your doors. EX: push once for all doors unlocked/locked or push once for drivers door locked/unlocked and second time for the rest of the doors locked/unlocked. I have on the other hand had multiple times where a mechanic went into my door for some reason and didn't hook it back up right. The other idea I have is that your central locking module has gone bad. Mine went bad and my FOB would no longer lock my doors. My windows didn't work either. I was told that the computer that runs the locks and the windows is all one in the same.
If I were you, I would go to your local checkers/autozone/auto parts place and have them OBDII you. I know checkers will do it for free, and if there are any codes, you can write them down and bring them here for help. Hope something helps you out

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
here's what you should try.

if you are able to gain access to the lock controll mechanism (the actuator that pushes the rod) i would check for an ohm reading across it's terminals, and referance that around the car.

heck, the easiest thing to really do would be to pull the connector, attach a volt meter and watch for signal.
this is the safest diagnostic to do, provided the car isn't under warranty.

if it's under some sort of 100k mile extended or whatnot, then have it done at a dealership under insurance(warranty) cost.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope, no warrenty, and the power locks work fine from inside the car just fine when i push the button. Just a transmitter issue. One thing i did notice is that when it was working before, the lights on the car flash when you push the unlock button when it unlocks the driver's door, but not the second time when it opens the passenger doors. Now every time i push the unlock button (on the transmitter) the lights flash and it doesn't attempt to unlock the rest of the car, completely ignoring my intentions to unlock the entire car (and let my gf in).

oh and using the key in the door works just as normal (unlocks driver's door, and then all the doors on the second turn)

I'll try the reprogram with the key in the door, and if that fails i may try and disconnect the battery (it's quite new), and i know that's dangerous, what with TB alignment and radio codes which have never been a issue for me.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Check the owner's manual. I'm pretty sure there is something you do along the lines of the suggestion in #3. I can't think of the procedure off the top of my head, and I'm nowhere near my manual.

My battery died on my MKIV GLI and I had to get the Dealer to reset the Fob to my car. Its almost like the reset procedure similar to when you change the batteries in a wireless keyboard or mouse.

·
Registered
502 Posts
how long has this been going on? this happend to me twice.. the first time lasted 2-3 weeks and fixed itself...the second time lasted less than a week...i figure its battery related because my battery died before each of those times..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update: i was bored and tinkering with it today, and fixed it by unlocking and locking the car with the passenger door unlock/lock button. works like a champ now... now for why i don't have window control after turning off the engine (usually have a few minutes to operate em before i leave the car)

·
Registered
23 Posts
update: i was bored and tinkering with it today, and fixed it by unlocking and locking the car with the passenger door unlock/lock button. works like a champ now... now for why i don't have window control after turning off the engine (usually have a few minutes to operate em before i leave the car)
My 03 GLS 1.8T had the exact same problem and I fixed the same way by locking and unlocking the car with the passenger lock switch.

I never lost window control when turning off the engine.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So how do you fix this problem?

My battery died on my 2003 1.8 and after I jumped it I noticed the remote only unlocked the drivers door...driving me nuts!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
you probably already know this, but are you opening any of the doors once you turn off the car? you should have a minute to operate the windows after turning off the car, but once any of the doors are opened, this is ability is cancelled.

·
Registered
162 Posts
you probably already know this, but are you opening any of the doors once you turn off the car? you should have a minute to operate the windows after turning off the car, but once any of the doors are opened, this is ability is cancelled.
I am aware of this feature...is it linked to my problem?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I am aware of this feature...is it linked to my problem?
I'm not sure if it has anything to do with your issue, but I just wanted to make sure you weren't trying to operate the windows after opening the doors and thinking it was a problem.

I think both your keyfob and window glitches might be something gone funky with your ccm. You may want to just give it a double check to make sure there is no corrosion on the unit itself, or with any of the wiring/splices. Make sure the connections are solid and maybe try disconnecting it for a few minutes to see if the ccm maybe corrects itself. Not sure if it will help at all, but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm not sure if it has anything to do with your issue, but I just wanted to make sure you weren't trying to operate the windows after opening the doors and thinking it was a problem.

I think both your keyfob and window glitches might be something gone funky with your ccm. You may want to just give it a double check to make sure there is no corrosion on the unit itself, or with any of the wiring/splices. Make sure the connections are solid and maybe try disconnecting it for a few minutes to see if the ccm maybe corrects itself. Not sure if it will help at all, but it's worth a shot.
My remote not being able to unlock all doors besides my drivers door happened directly after my battery died.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
My remote not being able to unlock all doors besides my drivers door happened directly after my battery died.
perhaps the dead battery caused some type of fault within the ccm. i've never heard of this happening, but it still might be possible.

it's my understanding that the keyfob functions are operated by the ccm. if the trick that others did with locking/unlocking the doors via the passenger-side buttons doesn't work, then try to reprogram your keyfob to the ccm. your manual should have the steps needed to do this (you'll need 2 keys) and the process takes about 30 seconds to complete.

if you still don't have any luck or don't have a second key for the reprogram, then you should start investigating the ccm unit as i described earlier and also try to find someone with a vag that can further check things out for you.

·
Registered
162 Posts
perhaps the dead battery caused some type of fault within the ccm. i've never heard of this happening, but it still might be possible.

it's my understanding that the keyfob functions are operated by the ccm. if the trick that others did with locking/unlocking the doors via the passenger-side buttons doesn't work, then try to reprogram your keyfob to the ccm. your manual should have the steps needed to do this (you'll need 2 keys) and the process takes about 30 seconds to complete.

if you still don't have any luck or don't have a second key for the reprogram, then you should start investigating the ccm unit as i described earlier and also try to find someone with a vag that can further check things out for you.
What is that trick again, I don't understand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 03 GLS 1.8T had the exact same problem and I fixed the same way by locking and unlocking the car with the passenger lock switch.

I never lost window control when turning off the engine.
Just had the same problem on my daughters Passat and the same trick fixed it - using the passenger door lock button a few times. Since this car had just been through major repairs after a tree fell on it during hurricane Irene, I thought this was going to be a bigger deal. Glad to find this tip here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got my car back from the mechanic, who seems to have fixed my starting problems (by replacing a bad CTS) and when i got it back my clock was reset (they unplugged the battery). Throttle is ok, but a curious thing happened: my keyfob will no longer open all the doors with two pushes, just continues to open the driver's door. I can find no other reports of this problem on the forums. For instance: The trunk button works fine as well as the lock button. I don't have a Vag-Com to mess with the CCM if that's the only way to fix it, maybe if someone locally has one that'd be awesome.

Anyone heard of this happenening? No other settings were reset (radio code, auto windows, etc.) I hope there's one of those cool VW ways of fixing this by holding down some random button or something.

Thanks in advance!
I had my battery changed out (fob battery)because I thought that was my issue (all doors reacted normally except driver door wouldn't unlock). I finally stuck the key in the driver side door while operating the unlock on the fob and I don't know if that's officially how it's fixed or if it was just coincidental but it's worked fine ever since. My car is a 2013 VW Passat and it has had random issues with this door or that door not opening in the past but they've always "resolved" on their own. By the time I've been ready to take it in to do something about it, the problem is no longer there. Tricky car.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,009 Posts
This is a 9 year old thread on a totally different model of Passat. The B7 has more in common with the Jetta/Golf of the same year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts