Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
break the damn metal thing off, crack it open, remove the little sensitive PCB board, and make a couple small "incissions" to the case. then, go to your mother/granny/female relative/friend's yarn stash, cut yourself a bit, double it up, and put it through those two holes, lay the board atop that, then reassemble the keyfob!

yes, that is right. i have repaired my keygob!

granted, it's not waterproof AT ALL, but it will stay on my keychain now, without any worry.

pics coming tomorrow. :wrench::thumbup:

·
13,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
what, is it so jerry rigged no one wants anything to do with this? 41 views no comments? :lol:

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
what, is it so jerry rigged no one wants anything to do with this? 41 views no comments? :lol:
I love how your such a post whore you start commenting on your own posts. :D

Once you have a pic of your rigged remote, that would probably help get an idea of what it looks like.

·
13,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Why not connect it to one of those retractable key chains that hangs on a belt?

If you're going to pimp mod your FOB do it like the contractors do!
i may well do that... what i've done will allow me to.
will post again with pics here in a bit.
i really like that idea... just that my other keys would jangle to my ankles and get stuck while driving :lol:

edit: okay, so here's what we have.
first off, the finished product:

this here is the 4 pieces of the keyfob split apart, and post-modification. if you look closely, there are a few areas i chopped through with my dykes. i made it so the string of yarn can go through the main cavity of the fob where the little chip board sits.

this is with the yarn strung through, and the PCB board placed back on. to get the board out, pry carefully with a thin flathead screwdriver. avoid damaging those pegs as much as possible!!!

and ta-dah~! looks pretty clean, doesn't it?

·
13,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that's pretty ghetto lol. I would have put in a piece or heavy wire or something.
this is what i had on hand at 4 in the morning. :lol:
i chopped the old yarn from one of my high school ID "neckbands" (they were cheapasses) used the dykes to cut the plastic, the paperclip to poke things with, and the rubber band to just have a rubber band, to say that i'm better than McGuyver. :poke:

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
You could use some silicone or caulking to seal the tips where the rope comes out of?

Get something sexier than crimson knitting yard!!! :p

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Just buy a new remote for $13 shipped on ebay. That's what I did.

The ghetto look will either freak people out, or act as a great ice breaker. haha.

(I don't even use the loop.)

After seeing this write up, I picture your engine bay being filled with duct tape.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Just buy a new remote for $13 shipped on ebay. That's what I did.

The ghetto look will either freak people out, or act as a great ice breaker. haha.

(I don't even use the loop.)

After seeing this write up, I picture your engine bay being filled with duct tape.

No, he has grandma in the back knitting while he drives around Fort Worth!

·
13,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's next a crochet air filter? Knitted car seat covers? In dash bingo console? :lol:
OH MY GOD!!! i am SO doing those! (and taking pictures)

well, i was feeling kind of old lately.
too bad i'm actually 20 :lol:

·
Registered
262 Posts
might a suggest something a little sturdier than freakin YARN!!!

Just go to your local army/navy surplus store and purchase some dog tag chain, then go to town with the dremel. This is an entire loop so its not going to pop out.

·
13,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
might a suggest something a little sturdier than freakin YARN!!!

Just go to your local army/navy surplus store and purchase some dog tag chain, then go to town with the dremel. This is an entire loop so its not going to pop out.
ok, put that on your key chain and give it a good tug, see how long that lasts :p
If I ever had to do this I would get a colored zip tie to match the car... or just go with basic black..
tried. no bueno.

·
Registered
262 Posts
ok, put that on your key chain and give it a good tug, see how long that lasts :p
Yea... just did. Holds up just fine. Hell of a lot better than yarn would, or the OEM keyfob loop. Go ahead and pull your OEM Keyfob loop real hard and see how long that one lasts.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts