Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Key FOB's

3K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  ar393 
#1 ·
Looking for some advice on Key FOB's for my B5 and B5.5.
I've never claimed to be savvy to the electrical side of things, so here goes.
My 1998 GLS had a FOB (simular to picture below) that would lock/unlock doors and trunk release. Is there a way I can get something to work with this car again. My understanding is, the original key FOB's are not available anymore. Would like to have remote functionality again. I'm assuming new (squarish / rectangle) FOB' s will not work because of frequency incompatibility. Yes / No?

Second FOB question.
My wife sent her key 2003 GLX key FOB through the wash this last weekend. It was the only one I had gotten when I purchased her car.
I know I can get replacements but the cash layout has got me a bit bummed about doing that.
I do have another FOB from a car I junked. I've got VCDS. Can I reprogram that other FOB to work with her car?

See less See more
#2 ·
You have a seperate fob and key for the 1998? I think you can just get a used OEM or aftermarket remote if you get the right part number. I think it's this HLO1J0959753F for the 98-01: HLO1J0959753F | eBay There is a procedure to program additional remotes in the manual, but I'm not sure how you would program the remote part without an existing OEM programmed key.

For the 2003, you just need to get another remote with the same part number, and reprogram it according to the manual. For the 2003 I think it's HLO1J0959753AM.

Honestly, I'm surprised the washing machine killed it. I've washed my remote at least 5 times and it worked every time after.

Edit: I was doing some research and came across one of your old threads here: 2001 key fob, will it work on a '98? Did you ever try anything with the 2001 key?

#3 ·
Honestly, I'm surprised the washing machine killed it. I've washed my remote at least 5 times and it worked every time after.
I know plenty of people who have done the same. Just the luck of the draw I guess. In my wife's case, no luck.

I was doing some research and came across one of your old threads here: 2001 key fob, will it work on a '98? Did you ever try anything with the 2001 key?
No never got it to work. That's where and when I thought I read it can't work because a different frequency was used.

#5 ·
so you don't have the FOB anymore for the 98? If so, get the FCC ID off it. send me the FCC ID on the 03. I might have an extra.

Reactions: AndreasPassat
#8 ·
so you don't have the FOB anymore for the 98? If so, get the FCC ID off it.
I honestly think it's buried in box somewhere in storage. I can't imagine me actually throwing a FOB away.

send me the FCC ID on the 03. I might have an extra.
That would be awesome.

#6 · (Edited)
I was doing some more research (bored at work) and I just realized the image in the original post was what the actual OEM VW key looked like. I guess I figured it was some aftermarket piece. Anyways, it looks like the FCC ID for that key is NBG730956T There do appear to be used or aftermarket keys of that type available on ebay.

I had assumed all the B5's came with a key like this or this:

#7 ·
I was doing some more research (bored at work) and I just realized the image in the original post was what the actual OEM VW key looked like. I guess I figured it was some aftermarket piece. Anyways, it looks like the FCC ID for that key is NBG730956T I had assumed all the B5's came with a key like this:
As did I. My 98 Jetta had a weird fob like the previous pic, but I've never seen a B5 with any other than a switchblade keyfob.

#9 ·
So you guys acknowledge the use of the weird looking FOB on early models?
I'm not insane. Well... :unsure:

I brought this up a while back and I was almost burned at the stake.

#10 ·
I thought the B5's used the style with the oval buttons while the B5.5 used the more rectangular button style. I've never seen the other type but I wasn't in the game back in those days so I really don't know what they originally came with. I have a few of the newer style FOB's as spares but I don't think they will work on a B5. Let me know if they could be of use though.

#18 ·
My 03’ b5 and 07’ keys The 03’ key I had to replace the key and bought a replacement on eBay and took old one apart with small screw on back. Be sure not to lose that small sensor that is in there. That’s the ticket to it working. Pretty easy to fix vs. dealer hitting ya for a hundred bucks. Good luck.

Attachments

#11 ·
My b5.5 FOB:

only have one, if anyone has a spare they wanna send me....I wouldn't say no.

FCC Id: NBG 735868 T
Hella 315 mhz
5FA 008 399-30
HLA 130 959 753 AM - I assume this is the part number

seems the F (instead of AM) is the oval button instead of my square buttons

#12 ·
I was at the stealership yesterday inquiring about another part and as long as I was there, I tapped the parts counter guy about this key FOB.
I have to say, that particular parts counter guy is a rare breed. He knew everything right off the top of his head.
He told me those old bango style key FOB's were only used on the 98, 99 Passat. Fortunately for me, because my car does NOT have the immobilizer I actually have some options.
The guy told me that people have had pretty good luck with the stuff available on ebay.
I'm fairly certain I still have mine buried in some box in storage. Just gotta go hunt around for it.

Still have to deal with my wife's broke key FOB though.

#13 ·
Hella 315 mhz
5FA 008 399-30
FCC ID: NBG 735868 T
CAN: 26941032187
HL0 1J0 959 753 AM

This is the key FOB for the wife's 03 GLX

Reactions: VAGguy
#16 ·
I have one that matches your 03 FOB if you want it. The switch blade top has the Immo "pill" in it. The remote section can be programmed separately with just turning the key to run, lock the door from the inside lock button and hold the remote lock button, I think.

#14 ·
Luckily my wife's came with two keys. My W8 though, only one. But every time I go to the junkyard I tactically aquire every key I find for and Vw or Audi.
Do the Jetta's have the immobilizer in the gauge cluster? If I switch clusters on either a Passat or a Jetta, will the old key work or must it be reprogrammed?

#20 ·
I only had one extra. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.