Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidently left my key in a pocket on my swimsuit and it was completely submerged and water logged. I dried it out and put it back together but it still didn't work. Does it need reprogrammed or something. Please help me out with advice if you have any ideas. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
If you're handy, take it apart, remove the battery, and try cleaning the circuit board etc. gently with 100% alcohol or no residue electronics cleaner, then re-assemble. If that doesn't work, I suggest E-Bay for a new or used fob. I bought one off E-bay for $12 including shipping, then put the transmitter from it in my old fob. That way when the old fob housing/buttons crap out I can put the transmitter in the new fob. Of course you'll have to re-program also.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Open like mentioned above, make sure you keep delicate parts aside, put rest into a pillow case. Use hair dryer from outside, from about 6 or more inches away. You dont want to melt anything.
Replace batteries. They may have drained due to the short circuit. While your wife is using the dryer on the salvaged key, surf on ebay and find one for ~$12. Whoever finishes first wins.
Whatever you do, stay away from the dealer if possible. I think the smallest dent your wallet will end up with is $75 otherwise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.