Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my Accuator replaced 2 days ago. Everything seemed to be working ok so far. This morning I get to work and I go to get out of the car and the alarm starts going off :oops:

Now I'm thinking that because I had a bunch of stuff in my hand that perhaps I hit the panic button by accident?

Why else would the alarm go off? It can't set itself when I'm driving, right? If it matters, I never locked the driver's door after I left the house.

How much is a new Key fob? Both of mine are worn out to the point where the panic button is exposed, although it's never used :???: and the other buttons have the rubber cut through from years of use :sad:

Thanks

·
Registered
616 Posts
You most likely hit the panic button on accident, based on your explanation.

Concerning the worn FOB…I changed over to a switchblade remote on my ’99. The dealer is obviously the most expensive, but ensured new condition. I purchased one switchblade through the classified forum and another through E-Pray, I mean E-Bay (each for about $20). If you change over to a switchblade verify the serial model number to ensure compatibility. There is an old post here on CB5 that specifies which serial numbers work with which model year B5; run a quick search. You will also require a new laser cut key to mate with the switchblade remote (dealer ~$80).

If you just desire another Banjo FOB, I am sure that there are members around that may be willing to sell their old FOB; post a WTB in the classified forum. I might have one of my old ones lying around, but would have to check.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooinn99,

So basicallly if I get the switchblade type, then I get it empty with no key and have to get another one put in that matches my car? To see if the parts are compatible, what serial number am I looking for? I do have a valet key with a tag on it that may have a serial number, but I need to find it. Perhaps it's in my maunal somewhere.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The switchblade style remote slides/disassembles, roughly in half using a coin. One half is the key/spring mechanism; the other half is the remote. Here is the thread I was discussing:
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=81507&highlight=switchblade+remote
They identify the switchblade serial numbers that work with the ’99 model. The serial number is the serial number you want to buy, not the one you currently have.

Here is the link on how to modify your existing key into the new switchblade:
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26048
I went to the dealer and paid ~$70 for the new laser cut key half.

Here is one way to program the switchblade remote to control your B5’s doors/trunk:

(courtesy of Legion):

1) Get in your car and shut the doors.
2) Put your spare key in the ignition and turn it to accessory (just before starting it)
3) Wait about 5-7 seconds and open the driver door and get out.
4) Shut the door, put the key you want to program in the lock and turn to the right
5) Let the key return to the normal position
6) Press the unlock button X times. *
7) Wait 6 seconds. Press the unlock button once more.
9) Now the key in the driver side door is programmed. Remove the key and wait a few minutes and it should work.

* X dednotes keynumber, IE this is key #1, or #2, up to 4 I believe.

The knowledgeable sellers on E-Bay provide the serial number with the listing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
trlyka - You can have your key easily copied at a locksmith using a table top mill.

So, if you get a switchblade remote like off of EBAY or the classifieds and pick up a blank to have cut - Your in business.

I just did this for the exact same reasons. Plus the switchblade is cool and get way better range for the alarm.

If you need the blanks for the switchblade I have them for $20 shipped. They were so damm hard to find, when I got them, I offered to the group. I have a posting somewhere and have sold some already.

Good Luck.

:wink:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ooinn99,

I was told by the dealer that they have to put a machine on the car to program the new key :???:

If I can do the other way, then that's great :)

NH VW Junky,

Thanks for the tip. I will certainly look into a lcoksmith vs. paying the dealer.

Thanks

·
Registered
616 Posts
I paid the Dealership to cut my new key; they never saw my B5. If you follow my earlier advice concerning buying a compatible remote, you can use the programming directions that I used (I located the procedure above using the CB5 search; at the time, I was not at home. I could not type the instructions provided with my remote). I have edited the instructions provided with my remote to clarify some ambiguous terminology:

1) Get in your car and shut the doors.
2) Put your spare key in the ignition and turn it to accessory (the position just before turning over the engine)
3) Wait about 5 seconds, open the driver door and get out.
4) Shut the door, insert the key you want to program in the driver’s door lock and manually lock the car.
5) Leave the key/remote in the door but allow the key return to the neutral position.
6) Press the unlock or lock button one time.
7) Wait at least two seconds. Press the unlock or lock button once more.
9) The key in the driver side door is programmed. Unlock your car and remove the key from the ignition.

After removing the key from the ignition, your new remote should operate your B5’s locks and trunk. This procedure worked for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.