Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched ABC News for once because I thought they would get closest to showing how this morning's interview with Gibson went. Kerry sure did lose his composure when Gibson said, I was there Senator and that's not right. From there the whole interview became worthless. I lost it though at the end of the ABC Nightly News story when they showed Kerry after the interview was over. As he's removing the mic on camera he says, "Damn, they're doing the work of the Republican National Committee." :lol: :lol: Poor John, I guess ABC can't do the work of the DNC all the time. At least you West Coasters have a heads up if you'd like to catch it tonight.

You all can go ahead and begin morphing this thread however you like. I plan on staying out of this controversy because it's silly. Call me back when we start talking about his Senate testimony and the out of print book. Then I may have an opinion.

EDITED for spelling because some people want to make it personal. :roll:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Urlik said:
You all can go ahead and begin morphing this thread however you like. I plan on staying out of this contreversy because it's silly.
(1) Thanks, I will. (2) Did Dubya teach you how to spell? :)

So, continuing with point #1, today we'll compare wartime service records:
John Kerry returned his riverboat under heavy enemy fire to save a lost comrade, while Bush went "missing in action" somewhere in Alabama.
*** http://www.moveonpac.org/warrecord/ ***

·
Registered
902 Posts
What out of print book? Did Kerry write a book?

The spelling thing was a low blow Meister, we're not writing term papers here. :p

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Here's an email that I received today. It's an interesting read. Whether it's 100% accurate is another story...

Catsup, Pickles, and the Radical Left

by Paul R. Hollr

Maria Teresa Thiersten Simoes-Ferreira Heinz Kerry was born in Mozambique, the daughter of a Portuguese physician, and was educated in Switzerland and South Africa. Fluent in five languages, she was working as a United Nations interpreter in Geneva in the mid-60's when she met a handsome young American, H. John Heinz, III, who worked at a bank in Geneva. He told her his family was "in the food business."

They were married in 1966 and returned to Pittsburgh where his family ran the giant H.J. Heinz food company. He was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1971, and in 1976 he was elected to the first of three terms in the United States Senate.

Senator H. John Heinz was a friend of mine - not a close friend, not a golfing buddy, but a friend nonetheless. The last time I saw him alive was,oddly enough, in the men's restroom at the Maverick Steakhouse, a favorite nighttime eatery and watering hole for politicians and lobbyists in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

The senator was standing at a wash basin, drying his hands, when I entered the room. When he turned and saw me he rushed toward me, threw his arms around me, and said, "Paul, it's good to see you!" All I could do was mumble, "Senator, do you really think we should be seen hugging each other in a men's restroom?" He didn't think so, and neither did I, but we shared a good laugh over his impromptu display of affection.

Several years later, in 1991, he was killed when his plane collided with a Sun Oil Company helicopter over a Philadelphia suburb - the same helicopter that I often used to travel between Philadelphia and Washington, DC. The senator, his pilot and co-pilot, and both of Sun's helicopter pilots were killed. He was survived by his wife, Teresa, and their three young sons.

Four years later, after inheriting Heinz's $500 million fortune, she married Senator John Forbes Kerry, the liberal junior senator from Massachusetts She became a registered Democrat and the process of her radicalization was set in motion.

Heinz Kerry is not shy about telling people that she required Kerry to sign a pre-nuptial agreement before they were married. John Kerry may not have check-writing privileges on the Heinz catsup and pickle fortune, but he is certainly a willing and uncomplaining beneficiary of it. A lot of hard-earned money, made through many years of hawking catsup, pickles, and soup, has fallen into the hands of two people who despise successful entrepreneurship and who believe in the confiscatory redistribution of wealth.

So how does Mrs. Heinz Kerry spend John Heinz's money? Just one example: According to the G2 Bulletin, an online intelligence newsletter of WorldNetDaily, in the years between 1995-2001 she gave more than $4 million to an organization called the Tides Foundation. And what does the Tides Foundation do with John Heinz's money?

They support numerous anti-war groups, including Ramsey Clark's International Action Center. Clark has offered to defend Saddam Hussein when he's tried.

They support the Democratic Justice Fund, a joint venture of the Tides Foundation and billionaire hate-monger George Soros. The Democratic Justice Fund seeks to ease restrictions on Muslim immigration from "terrorist" states.

They support the Council for American-Islamic Relations, whose leaders are known to have close ties to the terrorist group, Hamas.

They support the National Lawyers Guild, organized as a communist front during the Cold War era. One of their attorneys, Lynne Stewart, has been arrested for helping a client, Sheikh Omar Abdel Rahman, communicate with terror cells in Egypt. He is the convicted mastermind of the 1993 World Trade Center bombing.

They support Planned Parenthood, the National Abortion Rights Action League, and the Abortion Action Project. They support the most violent of all homosexual action groups, ACT-UP.

They support the "Barrio Warriors," a radical Hispanic group whose primary goal is to return all of Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Texas to Mexico.

These are but a few of the radical groups that benefit, through the anonymity provided by the Tides Foundation, from the generosity of our would-be first lady - the wealthy widow of Republican senator John Heinz, and now the wife of the Democratic senator who aspires to be the 44th President of the United States.

If voters will only try to imagine a woman such as Teresa Heinz Kerry, the fairy godmother of the radical left, laying her head on a pillow each night just inches from the President of the United States, hopefully they will decide that the only way these two will ever be allowed into the White House is with an engraved invitation in hand.

As I recall that somewhat embarrassing chance meeting in the men's restroom at the Maverick Steakhouse in Harrisburg, instead of mumbling some inane nonsense about getting caught in a friendly embrace, I wish now that I'd had the good sense to whisper in his ear, "John! Go home! Get a lawyer! Change your will!"

But, of course, we didn't know her then, did we?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Another one that hit the in-box today...

Dear Senator Kerry:

Since it has become clear that you will probably be the Democratic nominee for President, I have spent a great deal of time researching your war record and your record as a professional politician. The reason is simple, you aspire to be the Commander in Chief who would lead my sons and their fellow soldiers in time of war. I simply wanted to know if you possess the necessary qualifications to be trusted in that respect.

You see, I belong to a family of proud U.S.veterans. I was a Captain in the Army Reserve, my father was a decorated Lieutenant in World War II; and I have four sons who have either served, or are currently serving in the military. The oldest is an Army Lieutenant still on active duty in Afghanistan after already being honored for his service in Iraq. The youngest is an E-4 with the military police. His National Guard unit just finished their second tour of active duty, including six months in Guantanamo Bay. My two other sons have served in the national guard and the navy.

In looking at your record I found myself comparing it not only to that of my father and my sons, but to the people they served with. My father served with the 87th Chemical Mortar Battalion in Europe. They landed on Utah Beach and fought for 317 straight days including the Cherbourg Peninsula, Aachen, the Hurtgen Forest, and the Battle of the Bulge. You earned a Silver Star in Vietnam for chasing down and finishing off a wounded and retreating enemy soldier. My father won a Bronze Star for single handedly charging and knocking out a German machine gun nest that had his men pinned down. You received three purple hearts for what appears to be three minor scratches. In fact you only missed a combined total of two days of duty for these wounds. The men of my father's unit, the 87th, had to be admonished by their commanding officer because: "It has been brought to our attention that some men are covering up wounds and refusing medical attention for fear of being evacuated and permanently separated from this organization..." It was also a common problem for seriously wounded soldiers to go AWOL from hospitals in order to rejoin their units. You used your three purple hearts to leave Vietnam early.

My oldest boy came home from Iraq with numerous commendations and then proceeded to volunteer to go to Afghanistan and from there back to Iraq again. My sons and father have never had anything but the highest regard and respect for their fellow soldiers. Yet, you came home to publicly charge your fellow fighting men with being war criminals and to urge their defeat by the enemy. You even wrote a book that had a cover which mocked the heroism of the U.S. Marines who raised the flag on Iwo Jima. Our current crop of soldiers has a philosophy that no one gets left behind; and they have practiced that from Somalia to the battlefields of the Middle East. Yet as chairman of a Senate committee looking into allegations that many of your fellow servicemen had been left behind as prisoners in Vietnam, you chose to defend the brutal Vietnamese regime. You even went so far as to refer to the families of the POWs and MIAs as Professional malcontents, conspiracy mongers, con artists, and dime-store Rambos.

As a Senator you voted against the 1991 Gulf War, and have repeatedly voted against funds to supply our troops with the best equipment, and against money to improve our intelligence capability. I find this particularly ironic since as a Presidential candidate you are highly critical of our pre-war intelligence in Iraq. However, you did vote to authorize the President to go to war, but have since proceeded to do everything you can to undermine the efforts of our government and our troops to win. Is this what our fighting men and women can expect of you if you are their Commander in Chief? Will you gladly send them to war, only to then aid the enemy by undermining the morale of our troops and cutting off the weapons they need to win?

Our country is at war Senator, and as has been the case in every war since the American Revolution, a member of my family is serving their country during the war. Now you want me to trust you to lead my sons in this fight.

Sorry Senator, but when I compare your record to those who have fought and died for this nation, and are currently fighting and dying, the answer is not just no, but Hell No!

Sincerely,

Michael Connelly February 14, 2004 Dallas, Texas

·
Registered
902 Posts
What the smock did this have to do with senate testimony and a book? Gosh, I have to catch up on my news, I feel like I've missed something.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
A little off topic, but another funny email that popped in today...

Subject: Gotta love this guy. Good for Mr Rumsfeld. Rumsfeld at Kennedy's hearing.

You will only understand the symbolism of the following if you learned through extraneous history or were old enough to have watched it play out that Ted Kennedy drove off of a bridge in Massachusetts on his way to an island with Mary Joe Kopechne in the late 60's. He did NOT seek help to rescue her when he surfaced. Instead he made his way to a hotel, called friends and the next morning reported the accident. She was, needless to say, both dead and wet. Kennedy faced no type of any censure or reprimand, much less any legal punishment for this negligent act of manslaughter.

Kennedy power extends wide in that part of America. You have got to love the chutzpah of Rumsfeld.

February 05, 2004

Rumsfeld: Kennedy 'All Wet' About Bush Lies

(2004-02-05) -- Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld told Sen. Edward M. Kennedy yesterday that he was "all wet" when the Senator alleged that the Bush administration lied about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction to justify going to war.

The verbal clash came during Mr. Rumsfeld's testimony at a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing probing the state of pre-war intelligence.

Sen. Kennedy began his questioning of the Defense Secretary by saying, "Don't you think some members of the Bush administration should be held legally accountable for the lies they told about Iraqi weapons, and the subsequent cover-up?"

"First, with all due respect Senator Kennedy, you're all wet," said Mr. Rumsfeld "The administration has not lied or covered up. However, in general, I do believe that when a man commits a crime he should face the bar of justice. He should not be allowed to serve in positions of power in our government, and be hailed as a leader, when the question of his guilt remains unresolved, if you know what I mean."

"I'm sure I do not know what you mean," Mr. Kennedy said "But the American people deserve to know why you can't find Saddam's weapons of mass destruction."

"Sometimes things are hard to find, even when you know where they are,"said Mr. Rumsfeld. "For example, I've heard of a man who missed a bridge anddrove his car into the water, even though he knew where the bridge was.

And then sometimes you just keep diving into a problem and despite repeated efforts, you come up empty handed. That doesn't mean that nothing's there.

As you know, eventually, the truth comes to light."

Having no further questions, Mr. Kennedy yielded the remainder of his time.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I got this email today:
My Dear,

I am Mariam Abacha, widow to the former military head of state,late general Sani Abacha, who died suddenly as a result of cardiac arrest.

One early morning, I was called by my late husband General Sani Abacha who at that time was the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces and the Head of State of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, he took me around the apartment and showed me three metal boxes of money all in foreign currency.

My husband told me he was to use the money for the settlement of his personal royal guards on his self-succession bid and campaings.

Upon his tragic and unexpected death, the new civilian government has insisted on probing my family's financial resources and has gazettedall our properties. Also, they recently seized all the family known funds abroad with the assistance of the British Government. It is only this money US$60,000,000.00 (sixty million us dollars only) he deposited with the security company vault at Togo (Lome) that they cannot trace because the funds were deposited as an (antiquity) African artwork from Nigeria art gallery, the family intends to use this money for investment purpose to enable the family to start life all over again.

Therefore, the family is urgently in need of a very reliable investor participant that we could en trust with the certificate of deposit and PIN (personal identification number code to help us remove the funds sinceno name were used in securing the vault.

I got your name and contact address from our chamber of commerce and industry office in Lagos, Nigeria. If the proposal is acceptable to you, after getting the money out of the security company vault to your country, my family have agreed to offer you 25% of the total sum for the assistance you rendered to us and bank the family's own part of the funds and assist us in investing (with my approval)in a project as a front from there we can discuss the way forward, most especially now that my eldest son, Mohammed and I are under pressure from the government.

Please kindly reach me by this email, for more details on the logistics and modalities if you are interested in a "partnership" so that we can arrange a meeting in (Lome) Togo at the security company.

Note: I do not need to remind you of the absolute secrecy and confidentiality that this transaction demands. My son Abba will only be the one to tell you when ever it is possible to talk to me. If you are not interested, please kindly reply to me immediately to enable me to search for another interested partner.

Thanks and accept my regards.
Mariam Abacha (Alhaja).

For the family.
Note you can as well call my son Abba on his number
00 228 02 51 33
For more directives.
:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
709 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
This interview is funny as hell!! Kerry is a double talking disgrace. Just TRY to make sense of what he's saying.. he's all over the place.

Gibson!! dude, Kerry was scheduled for a softball interview!! the D with the checkmark by it means softball!!!

I say Kerry swallows a bullet before the convention once he realizes he's been exposed as a lying, humiliated cameleon..

·
Registered
902 Posts
Ok, looked for the book(The New Soldier) at the university library, couldn't find it. Apparently it's pretty hard to find, it's selling on ebay, etc in the hundreds.

From what I've read, there are theories going around as to why the book is so hard to find. One is that Kerry has and is buying up all the books(sounds silly), the other is that the book wasn't very popular.(sounds likely)

The book has become popular again because people are searching for dirt on Kerry. From what I've read, he did not write much of the book besides an afterword he provided after reprinting his senate testimony.

I guess the bigger story is about the other authors of the book, members of the VVAW --> Vietnam Veterans Against the War. There seems to be some controvery of over the legitamacy of what they said about the war, particularly atrocities they said they commited. I think the controversy over Kerry's medals(wether he threw them away or not) has stemmed out of this also.

Is there something in particular you wanted to point out Urlik, do you think he lied about something in the book? Was it the group he was part of? Or do you disagree with the his stance on the Vietnam War?

In some of the interviews that I've seen, Kerry seems to fumble around a little bit whenever they show footage of him describing or disputing the war. He seems to want to downplay it, and I've always wondered why. Well, I guess I know why, he's trying to get elected, but I think the way that he's handling this situation exposes a flaw in his approach. He is starting to give me the impression that he's playing not to lose(trying to offend noone) instead of playing to win, (Gore anyone?) He used his stance against the war to launch his career and he should be standing by it, not down playing it in fear of losing votes.

Ok, enough morphing.....let me have your thoughts Urlik, I've heard your pleas for people to listen and look at both sides of the coin.(Or maybe just the other side?) instead of just jabbing, so lets have it..

·
Super Moderator
14,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JokerUNM said:
Is there something in particular you wanted to point out Urlik, do you think he lied about something in the book? Was it the group he was part of? Or do you disagree with the his stance on the Vietnam War?
It's still too early for me to tell. The book seems to have had a very small printing and they're going for ~$1000 on eBay. I saw an interview with a Vietnam Vet with a copy of the book in his hands on TV yesterday. He had some scathing things to say about what was in the book. I couldn't be sure what was and was not said by Kerry though. I'm sure there'll be a more objective media layout on it before too long. I'm looking forward to it. Gibson showed yesterday on ABC that Kerry isn't going to get a fee ride by all the media.

As for the group Kerry was in, I trust the thoughts of the many Vietnam Vets I know. They did and still do hate what they did. Does this disqualify Kerry years later for office? No, it was a different time. But if it comes out he lied about atrocities in Vietnam for political reasons while making his fellow Brothers in Arms look bad, I will not forgive that.

NOTE: I PMed JokerUNM this original info but evidently he wanted to talk about it in the open. A new thread would have been better IMHO but thought I'd add why I'm participating in a thread I said I was bowing out of. Oh...and I took the time to run the handy dandy B5 toolbar spell check. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
natskiboy
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing