Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One nice feature of the Monsoon Stereo in my 2001 B5 GLX is the Steering Wheel controls for the volume and channel/track. However, I'd love MP3-capability, so am putting in an aftermarket (JVC) which like most systems, has a wireless remote control.

There is a company making a device which will emulate any remote, so that you can send the wires from any car's steering wheel controls into this device, and it will control the stereo for you.

However, I thought another solution would be to send the wires from my steering wheel straight into my JVC remote, then keeping the remote hidden some place inside the dash. I'm happy to psuedo-destroy the remote in the process.

I'm keen to hear if anyone has tried this before. I'd hope to be able to tie the remote's earth to the car, and just pass in four wires, soldering them to the board inside the remote, but nothing's ever easy, so I'd love to hear of anyone else's experiences trying this. Also, is it just four wires from the steering wheel for the audio controls?

Thanks

Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link. The solution I was proposing enables us to do the same thing, but without the new part. Rather we connect the car's wires directly into the remote rather than into the pac-audio unit, thus saving space and $50-$80, plus increasing reliability. Admitedly it's slightly harder to do.

I'd hoped to find four or five wires going into the monsoon HU performing the Steering Wheel control, but there appears to be only one, labeled SWC. It's not clear to me as to where the wires from the four switches get converted into one signal, if it's in the steering wheel then I'm hesitent to mess with it, since it's next to the airbag. If it's in the bowels of the dash then it should be easy to get the wires. The Haynes manual doesn't appear to show any such wiring.

I'm interested to know if anyone has found such wiring, for example when trying to install a pac-audio unit.

Thanks

Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After some more research, I can answer my own question here.

The steering wheel controls get converted to a serial format, and are passed into the HU in one wire, wire #11 on the 20-way. This conversion no-doubt happens at the steering wheel, so as to not have to pass 4 or 5 wires through the moving wheel mechanism.

So pretty much, without something to convert the serial signal back to 4 or 5 wires, which isn't going to exist, I don't think it's gonna be easy to have B5 steering wheeel controls on an after-market HU, unless you're prepared to go inside the steering wheel, then feed a bunch of new wires through the steering wheel mechanism, or some how manage to hide the new electronics in the steering wheel itself.

Doug

·
Registered
342 Posts
Triathlonbloke:

Thanks for doing the research on this. Saves the rest of us from trying rig something up that will work.

Maybe in the future someone will make an adapter for it.. but from the sound of it... I guess that won't happen.

Perhaps you just just try velcroing the remote to the steering wheel where the buttons are! :lol: :weirdo:

Thanks again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I work for a local stereo company and have worked on many cars where I put in this pac piece and I am here to let you know that if you can use the remote that come with the new hu, USE IT!!
Finding the one wire in the steering column is the least of your problems. Be forwarned you may only be able to set 4 commands from your sw buttons, the most I have been able to get is 6 it depends on the make and model of the car. You have to set up all of the features during programing (vol up,down, mode, track up, down etc.) if you mess up in the process you have to start all over again reprograming what you did the first time. So 2 hours later after you get done programing your buttons you have to mount the IR blaster on the dash somewhere so the IR reciever from the new hu can pick up the signal so you might want to hold it by hand and check you controls on the sw before drill hole to mount ir blaster eye.
I hope this info helps someone if they juggling the idea of doing this.

D-rail :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts