Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to trade my B5 Variant in today, but I had a change of heart a bit. I am wondering how there can be such drastic differences between the three main used car price sources Kelley Blue Book, NADA Guide, and Edmunds? The dealer is offering me what ends up being the NADA value, but he mentioned the KBB value when talking to me. It seems that KBB is always referenced by the dealers, and it always seems to be the lowest. How can the others be accurate if everyone uses KBB? Reason I am asking is that I nearly considered dumping the A6 instead.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
well, i think it's because the KBB is the most popular one that everyone knows about. personally, i think the numbers are inflated anyway, so it's just to show what a great deal you're getting.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
KBB i popular because they show the highest retail and trade ins.
However, most ealers actually reference Galves, which only available with a fee.
Galves includes several other factors into their trade in values, including rebates for that year, etc.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
My experience in the past has been that the dealers want MORE than the [insert car appraiser website] price for the new car, and are offering LESS than the [whatever website] price for my trade in.

And when its mentioned they usually just blow it off. fawkers.

I think looking at what cars are going for on ebaymotors or something sometimes paints a more realistic picture.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can agree with watching the E-Bay thing. I have been watching 2000 Variants for the past 8 months, and not a one has sold on E-bay much over what the dealer is quoting me for my car. Now, I realize that the game works in such a way that they just use the price of the new to absorb it. All, I am worried about is keeping the payments in my budget and they have worked the financing in my favor (2% below what I am currently paying).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Postman
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing