Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I own a 2001 wagon, want to carry a kayak and have a rack coming in a couple days for the roof, anyone carry a kayak out there??
I cannot find a spot to tie the bowline down at the front of the car, there is a smooth plastic bumper and the bottom splash shield, I may have to drill a hole and bolt an eyelet on under the bumper.
anyone else done this??
thanks Bob.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If you remove either side of the lower trim grill (the areas around the fog lights), there is a hook there for towing. You'll probably want to hook it to that and the other end to the hook in the back (center of the car). Make sure you make a setup that includes plastic around the rope so you don't mess up your car.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
You might consider a piece of rubber hose or a pool noodle as a buffer between the rope and the bumper paint.

That lower grill comes off with a good yank- you might think you're breaking something when you do it. If you peek through the grill, you'll see the eyelet. On my '03, it's on the passenger side, I assume it is the same on all models.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
You might consider a piece of rubber hose or a pool noodle as a buffer between the rope and the bumper paint.

That lower grill comes off with a good yank- you might think you're breaking something when you do it. If you peek through the grill, you'll see the eyelet. On my '03, it's on the passenger side, I assume it is the same on all models.
Exactly.

To take the grill off, grab at the top and bottom slits and squeeze. This will release the two tabs holding it in and the grill will decompress itself. When you put it back on, the grill has an edge that slides into a groove all along the width of the opening. The grill will not align properly if the edge doesn't make it back in.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Another trick is if you are using nylon straps rather than rope, twist the strap 2 or 3 times between the two fixing points. This eliminates the flat cross section and will keep the strap(s) from catching the wind and vibrating at speed.

As far as attachment points, the tow loops mentioned above are you best bet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts